PDA

View Full Version : Any GoPro Hd users out there??

Ranbal
06-24-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.goprocamera.com/
I have been looking at this camera for a little while now. It looks promising and very affordable. It claims a depth rating of 180' and the sample videos don't look too bad. Anyone with any experience with this?

acelockco
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
It is cool for playing around, but it is nothing for any serious video footage or anything you really care about. The footage shown on the website is ideal footage with ideal conditions and you can just about bet you will rarely encounter such conditions when you try to use your camera. In order to properly capture underwater images or video requires a substantial amount of artificial lighting.

Not saying it won't be fun, but just be aware of what you are going to get. Similar in quality to the old YouTube videos, not the new higher definition stuff that they have been allowing lately.

The Publisher
06-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Keep in mind that unless you are in water 8 feet or shallower, your footage will be washed out with no supplemental add-on lighting.

Decent for wide angle though. I don't know if it has any white balancing at all, but if you can add red color in post, then this would be slick for the hobbyist.

Ranbal
06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the response. I had stumbled upon a video of a dive off Possession Bar and the guy was using a GoPro cam. The video wasn't too bad for such a tiny device.

I am just getting my feet wet in the video world and am looking at affordable options to get started. Thanks for the feedback.

acelockco
06-25-2010, 08:55 PM
You might be better off buying a used older setup to start with. I know everyone wants digital, but you can find used non digital setups for next to nothing. The quality is going to be much better, but not being digital is HUGE.