PDA

View Full Version : New Diver Mirror

The Publisher
06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I ran across this today and thought it was interesting. I know by the time I have all my gear slathered all over me I dislike turning around frequently....although in fairness since I stop to video subjects it is usually me that is last, lol.

But with all the rebreather gear slathered all over the front of me, I can imagine this might come in handy to see gear on me that I normally cannot see, especially in a drysuit.

Their website is here (http://www.scubasight.com/)

http://www.scubasight.com/bg_KL2_87index4B.jpg

This is their brief explanation:

The ScubaSight mirror for diving was designed and created by Steven Richcreek, an avid scuba diver with multiple extended range certifications.

Steve began to think about diving with a mirror after encountering a number of problems while diving that could have been solved if a mirror was available. The problems he encountered ranged from annoying to life threatening.

Steve started to experiment with different materials and versions of the mirror. ScubaSight is the result of combining his diving and years of manufacturing experience to create a simple mirror that could be used efficiently while underwater.

After using the mirror on hundreds of dives, Steve found that the design of the mirror allowed it to quickly be moved to any position it was needed to solve serious problems or minor inconvienences and this allowed him to relax and enjoy his dive more.

Mr. Richreek's goal is to help make divers aware of the benefits of diving with a mirror as well as having a high quality waterproof mirror available for that purpose.

Here is his personal experience which lead to its creation:

The Dive Mirror Story

The ScubaSight mirror for diving was designed and created by Steven Richcreek, an avid scuba diver with multiple extended range certifications.

Steve began to think about diving with a mirror after encountering a number of problems while diving that could have been solved if a mirror was available. The problems he encountered ranged from annoying to life threatening.

Steve started to experiment with different materials and versions of the mirror. ScubaSight is the result of combining his diving and years of manufacturing experience to create a simple mirror that could be used efficiently while underwater.

After using the mirror on hundreds of dives, Steve found that the design of the mirror allowed it to quickly be moved to any position it was needed to solve serious problems or minor inconvienences and this allowed him to relax and enjoy his dive more.

Mr. Richreek's goal is to help make divers aware of the benefits of diving with a mirror as well as having a high quality waterproof mirror available for that purpose. “I would like to explain about the events that led me to making mirrors for diving. I will start with the one of last events first, the one that scared me enough to make the effort required to actually start working with a mirror instead of just wishing I had one.

In the upper St. Lawrence River just north of Cockburn Island lies the scattered wreckage of the 140 foot wooden drill barge named the J.B. King. The “King” -loaded with dynamite- was employed in drilling and blasting to deepen the “narrows” when she was struck by lightning and exploded in 1930.

I was visiting the site in 2003 with a group of 7 divers and was one of 3 students that would be making our first dive on the site and using it as training toward an Advanced Trimix Certification. We were briefed on the dive and the plan was to stay together and work our way to the bottom before drifting over the wreckage. The current was extra strong that day and in order to get to the bottom we had to and pull ourselves down with rocks and the sides of the channel without being swept away by the current before we made it to the bottom. By the time we reached the bottom I was breathing hard and then we all let go and began to drift through the wreckage. Soon pieces of the wreck were coming up fast and it took all my effort just to dodge them. I didn't drift to far before I was snagged from behind and caught there at 150 feet with my feet pulled straight out in front of me by the current. I reached back to try to feel what I was caught on in order to free myself but could not reach far enough and began to wish I had a mirror to actually see what I was snagged on. I realized then that there was no one around to help me and I was breathing very hard. I started to become overwhelmed with the idea of about being caught there and running out of air. I checked my pressure gage and realized I had plenty of back gas and managed to calm down and get my breathing under control. I somehow became free and as I was drifting to find the rest of the team I was thinking about a dive mirror and finding a low spot to take a little rest out of the current.

I first considered scuba diving with a mirror after my wife was certified in 2001. While we were diving together she would end up just out of my peripheral vision which is limited by my mask. My movement was limited by my drysuit,double steel tanks and two 40 cu ft stage tanks that I was using to hone my skills for extended range diving. I started to resent the amount of effort it took -while wearing all the equipment and reading my compass- to keep track of my wife. I started to think that perhaps a mirror would help to keep peace in the family.

In January of 2004 I was diving along the shore of Cozumal with three other scuba divers in just over 20 feet of water when I began to hear the sound of escaping air directly behind my head. Instead of signaling to one of my buddies to take a look I decided to keep going as I was in water shallow enough to surface quickly and the leak did not sound that bad. I tried to not think about the escaping air behind me and enjoy my dive but it really irritated me that I could hear but not see the leak. I thought that if only I had a mirror I could see it for myself.

In July of 2003 we were diving a broken up wreck they call the Hilton Castle off the coast of Long Island. We were diving this because it was to rough for our dive charter, the Wahoo, to get out to the San Diego which we had done the day before. As we were finishing our dive and headed back to the ascent line I noticed a lone diver struggling in the water. I went over and unhooked him from some line that was tangled around his tank valve. He couldn't see what he was caught on and seemed to be on the verge of panic. I began to think that a dive mirror might be a good idea for everyone.

Those four events got me to thinking about what an important piece of scuba diving equipment a mirror would be. I began to use my experience in manufacturing and scuba diving to create a simple mirror that would be practical for scuba diving.

http://www.scubasight.com/1234panel3.jpghttp://www.scubasight.com/spot_aboveB010.jpghttp://www.scubasight.com/bubblecheck010.jpg

acelockco
06-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Cool idea. Maybe we can add some side view mirrors to one of those crazy monkey scooters.

greenturtle
06-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Cool, I carry a small mirror for emergency use in my BC. Any idea how much it cost?

The Publisher
06-05-2010, 04:46 AM
I'll find out how much they are......I have 2 on the way to try out....