PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Underwater Cameras

EGIBB
05-29-2010, 10:52 PM
I am comparing different cameras to see what would be the best purchase. I have been looking at the Nikon, Canon and SeaLife. A lot of people seem to have the Nikon cameras and like them but I was wondering if anyone has the SeaLife DC1200 or a Canon. Do you have any recommendations for my first underwater camera?

The Publisher
05-30-2010, 08:26 AM
You can't go wrong with any of them. I would buy a used one and put it through the ringers till you find what you like.

stevesparkes
06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
It’s not one that you’re currently looking at but I’m very pleased with my Fuji F200. It’s got an underwater mode that works really well. I’m by no means a good photographer but I’m getting some great photos. For every 100 photos taken I’m getting 10 good shots but that’s operator error and nothing to do with the camera. Fuji have now released the F80 which is similar to the F200 but better :).

Check out my photos.

http://www.stevesparkes.co.uk/hol-photo.html

mbelair
06-03-2010, 03:24 PM
You can't go wrong with any of them. I would buy a used one and put it through the ringers till you find what you like.

I am curious as to possible negative aspects of the DC1200.
I like the depth rating,the manual white balance, the controls that seem readily accesible and... the price.

I am using a SD 700 IS at the moment and the Canon casing is starting to show signs of fatigue after a few to many trips below 150, 170, 200 ft.

How would my videos compare with the Sealife compared to what I am getting right now.

EGIBB
06-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the information. I will take a look at this one too! I am still a beginner photographer too but have taken the PADI UW Photography course and am hooked now. I did take a look at your photos and they turned out really well.

I also really liked the manual white balance option on the DC1200. That is one feature that many of the cameras do not have and I have wanted.

The Publisher
06-05-2010, 01:32 AM
The one common thing I see in both video and still photography, that in-camera white balance setting for underwater are remarkably less important, and a powerful external strobe/lights, or better yet 2 make a WORLD of difference when subjects are within 5 feet.

If I were into still photography and bought a semi-entry level system, I would make sure that it had an upgrade path for adding external strobes, even the nice compact ones I see.

I have stepped all over the greenish images in Photoshop and all you can do is take a horrible photo and make it so it is amateurish. Marginal color photos, such as ones taken in real shallow water, or ones where you use internal force flash and you are within a foot of the subject come out ok, but nothing to honk your horn over.

jimfaster
03-28-2011, 08:16 AM
For best output get nikon.

acelockco
03-28-2011, 04:59 PM
For best output get nikon.

Do you have opinions on why you think the Nikon is the best as that type of info would be helpful to others as we can't tell from your post.

Papa Bear
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Everything depends on you! If your happy with snap shots or want farm-able hang on your wall pictures? What are your computer skills and how big is your budget? So much has changed in just a few years including the New Sea Life and the lighting, which LED has really stepped it up, so that even snap shot shooters are getting some great shots.... Your dive skills are just as important as your camera when getting good photos! If you can buy used that is not a bad way to learn what your looking for as you haven't got the experience to know what your looking for or at ;) The key is don't give up and take a lot of pictures and learn from each one! Good luck and keep snapping :)