PDA

View Full Version : My best

PhotoTJ
02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
This weighed 13 lbs., 3 oz when I first took it out of the water, 10 lbs., 1 oz when I got it to a certified scale.

acelockco
06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Why did it loose 3lbs and 2 oz? That is a HUGE percentage of the animals body weight. Something smells lobstery.

Zero
06-17-2007, 04:01 AM
Couldnt wait to start eating it on the way back in?

Matt

hbh2oguard
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
difference between a certified scale and one of those cheap fish scales.
But anyway lobster season is just around the corner.... only till the end of the month.:)

Daddy-h2O
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Bet you used 3 lbs of butter with that...

PhotoTJ
10-10-2007, 12:00 AM
12 lbs. 9 oz. on a certified scale. And yes, I released him. (For comparison, I am 6'3" 215 lbs.)

acelockco
10-10-2007, 01:53 AM
SHEEEEEEEET

Next time, you can release him to me.

I will take great care of him. A nice warm steam bath, then a massage with drawn butter.

PhotoTJ
10-10-2007, 02:20 AM
In addition to the lobstrosity, I had 5 5 pounders and a 2 pounder, so I didn't feel the need to eat the superbug.

Sarah
10-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Lobstilla!

Now fess up, which island is producing this season? San Nicholas as a legendary bug source is now, nothing but that, a legend.

Catalina always seems to be ok, San Clemente is legendary...for shorts.....Santa Barbara Island is so so...

So do tell! Enquiring minds want to know....

PhotoTJ
10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
I got him on a beach dive, between Laguna and Ventura. The actual site is...'Top Secret Lobster Spot #27'

hbh2oguard
10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
#27 darn my gps stops at #26. But anyway any bug over 5lbs starts to get tough. I prefer the just over legal two pounders. Plus your not eating the top producing lobster. I know a lot of guys would have kept it, I wouldn't have nor did you, so I must commend you. So how did you fit big boy and 5-5lbs and a 2lbs in a bag? Better question how did you stay pos. buoyant?:)

lottie
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Lobstilla!

Now fess up, which island is producing this season?

I was supposed to be going lobster hunting with my instructor and a few other guys, plus have a barbi on the beach (except that I don't eat lobster) but nothings been mentioned about that :(

When does lobster season finish??

PhotoTJ
10-12-2007, 05:11 PM
The wing in my BC has 58 lbs. of lift. Plus, I used the big one as a DPV at the end; held his caripice, and he pull me back to the boat at about 4 kts.
(For those of you trembling with rightous indignation, that was a joke.)

Bug season ends in Cali the first Wednesday following the 15th of March.

seasnake
10-12-2007, 05:28 PM
We aren't allowed to take them here, but these are a couple big fellas at a popular local dive spot. They are northern atlantic lobster with the front claws.

hbh2oguard
10-12-2007, 10:10 PM
yea I don't think I'd want to try and take one of those guys snake, unless you don't like all your fingers.

Lotte you don't know what your missing. Personally I think it's the second best tasting animal from the ocean, right behind king crab.

Snake, is fishing banned because it's a marine preserve or is it only open to commerical trappers?

seasnake
10-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes, lobsters here are completely the domain of commercial fisherman, and they can only be taken in traps.

Ones like these are much to big to fit in the traps and so just continue to grow.

Here is another interesting pic, a scan of a local newspaper clipping showing some lobster "anamolies" caught locally.

acelockco
10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
They are not banned here in NJ and those are the same ones we have. And yes, they can take your finger if you are not careful. They are much slower than we are so as long as you are quick.

Now here are two nice size lobster a friend of mine bagged. Notice the porthole on the deck he also grabbed!

diverchrispy
10-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Hey Acelockco,

I've always wondered .....when they get that big do they still taste good??
I always assumed that when they get that big and old they would be tough or stringy or such.

Chris

acelockco
10-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Nope, they taste just as good but take longer to cook if you can find something big enough to cook them in. I was told that they are going to change the laws here limiting the maximum size you can take. It really does not make much sense to me, but I will follow the laws when they start.

hbh2oguard
10-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Ace it might be different with a maine lobster but with a spiny lobster once they are five pounds or so they get tough, still ok for pasta. But the big ones are the largest produces and I would strongly reccomend releaseing them because their only predators are divers, because they don't fit in traps.

seasnake
10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Yep, Ace, those are some big fellas! I was going to ask about size limits before you mentioned it ... so as it stands now, there are none? Yeh, taking the big producers I would think will affect the stocks in the long run?? *shrug*

You say they are slow but I once watched a diver poking and teasing a large lobster like that with a knife. The lobster slothfully endured the prodding for a minute and then, quicker than you can blink, he snatched the knife away from the diver!

When the guy was telling the story later on the surface, he said "all I was thinking was 'okay boys, now he's armed'."

hbh2oguard
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Snake by no means are they slow but again that's a spiny lobster. With one flick of the tail they are gone, and some how they always seem to bounce into me and half the times it's into my mask. Again taking the big lobsters will hurt the population, my motto is take seven(daily limit in CA) of his/hers kids and let him/her make seven more:)

PhotoTJ
10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I've never seen it, but I wonder if there are spinys that have the unusual colors as well. If I ever catch a blue one, or 1/2 blue 1/2 red, I'm giving them to the Aquarium of the Pacific!

hbh2oguard
10-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I've only seen pic of the multi colored one, doubt they last long in the wild. Has anyone tried on the the colored lobster light filters? I haven't but guessing it's a waste of money.

acelockco
10-18-2007, 12:04 AM
I was not aware that the largest ones are the biggest producers. It makes sense, but then again in some animals after a certain age, they don't reproduce. I will take everyone's elses word for it though.

It really does not matter at this point as this is the last year for the big lobster here. Then again, it is not too often you see a big mutha' like those around.

As far as spiny lobster, yes they are MUCH MUCH faster than these guys here, but they can't bite back! These lobster can't swim like the spineys. They only craw, problem is they usually live hidden under broken hull plates, or in pipes, between rocks, etc. You have to reach in, grab them, and pull them out without loosing any body parts. They can also release their claws, so you have to be careful! You can not keep the broken claws either unless you have the lobster. Also no tickle sticks or anything like that allowed.

As far as maximum, I am not sure but I think it may be 6-7 /diver/day, but I have never seen that many, usually only 2-3 lobster per boat (6 pack).

lottie
10-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Lotte you don't know what your missing. Personally I think it's the second best tasting animal from the ocean, right behind king crab.

Well, i've never tasted it at all in my life (same with crab as well)...so i'm not really that bothered as to whether i'm missing out on anything. Plus it probably tastes like chicken :D

Down here, we have the spiny lobster...on one of my AOW dives, my instructor found one under a reef and tried to coax it out...he thinks it must have been about 2/3 foot in length !!!!

hbh2oguard
10-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Thankfully they come out to feed at night. But ace are the going to have a gauge with two markers on it or is it not finalized yet? Do you know what the max and min size will be assuming you measure the carapius/body(sp?)

acelockco
10-18-2007, 04:06 AM
I don't know what they actual sizes are going to be, they usually post a page with the limits at the begining of the year. As soon as I know I will let everyone else know.

As far as gauges go, we have never had them in NJ. Kind of strange if you ask me. So you don't have to have one on you while looking for bugs. Now that being said, I see that all sizes are usually brought up, then measured on the boat. They get tossed back if they are too small. I don't know if this is a bad thing to do or not, but it is what happens.

Now Lottie, DON'T EVER EAT CRAB OR LOBSTER

MORE FOR ME!!!!

PhotoTJ
10-18-2007, 04:16 AM
I tried a red filter on my lights. Don't bother. If anything, it makes them more skittish.

amtrosie
10-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, i've never tasted it at all in my life (same with crab as well)...so i'm not really that bothered as to whether i'm missing out on anything. Plus it probably tastes like chicken :D

Nah, not like chicken. It tastes more like rubber, chews like rubber too. Not a fan. I am sure Ace is lovin life!

hbh2oguard
10-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks photoTJ my buddy rigged up one from a tail light for a few bucks so thought I might give it a try. I think they don't like led light it's too bright white that's why I still use a halogen light which seems to have a yellow tint.

amtrosie rubber?? It must have been too big or cooked too long. But like you said more for us.:)