PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Air to charge up to $45 for carry-ons

acelockco
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Spirit Airlines will charge as much as $45 each way for a carry-on bag, adding a fee that bigger airlines have yet to try.

The charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin. Personal items that fit under the seat will still be free.

The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance. It begins Aug. 1.

Spirit says a new fare reduction means most customers won't really pay more to fly. It says having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster. Spirit also charges to check luggage.

Spirit mostly flies out of Florida to Latin America. Even though it's a minor player, bigger airlines are likely to watch to see whether customers are willing to pay for carry-ons.

The Publisher
04-07-2010, 02:08 AM
I like how they say they will charge lower fares....I saw this on the newswire too.

The next thing you know, they will charge you a fee for the seat, a fee for the seatbelt, a fee if you want to tilt your chair back, a fee if you don't want to tilt your set back, a window seat fee, an isle seat fee, a restroom fee, $30 food fees for each meal on 16 hour flights, a deplaning fee, a boarding gate fee, a security fee, a flight safety announcement speaker fee, a cabin air conditioning fee, an overhead light fee....

acelockco
04-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Actually they do charge an additional fee for your seat. Funny thing is you must purchase the seat. They charge more for the isle, and even more for the window.

I bet next they are going to charge for the air you breath on the plane.

Maybe you will have to pay a fee for the safety equipment. Extra if you want a life jacket, extra if you want to have oxygen. Maybe pay in advance for a small fee, or in case of emergency get charged an outrageous amount?

These people are nuts!! I fly Spirit Air a lot, almost once per month. I will tell you now, I am already looking to book tickets with another airline. I might even consider driving, at least I know what it actually costs.