PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I am in, partially anyway

WarmWaterdiver
02-16-2007, 12:45 PM

amtrosie
02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't you know that you MUST consult a tax attorney before embarking on the DIR road? LOL Don't worry, the creditors can't call you while you are diving.....so stay down as much as possible!!! Trust me on this, for I know of what I am speaking!

seasnake
02-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Does your smartcom have a "gauge" mode? I use a Suunto vyper and when I do my little "tech" dives I just use it in gauge mode. Otherwise I use it as a dive computer. As a "gauge" it is water activated, still keeps track of depth and time, and logs the dive in the log book too. It just doesn't annoy me with deco info, since we are going off tables.
That's one plus you will get from the Fundies course ... you will know and be able to use those GUE tables! Those magic, calculate on the fly, scribbles in your wet notes ...
Something tells me by the time you are at the end of the course you will have a cannister light and wrist mount compass on order ... but I look forward to hearing what you thought of the training.

Ron

grim reefer
02-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Good luck, And don't drink too much koolaid.

BamaCaveDiver
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Enjoy your class, Mark is rumored to be a great instructor. Your first experience in a BP/W setup sounds like most who have made the switch; hard to believe that something so seemingly low tech (as compared to today's line up of modern BC's) can be so damn comfortable as well as functional. The only time you will really notice the crotch strap is if you ever start scootering (the 2in definitely offers some advantages over the 1in straps :eek: ).

Sarah
02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
WWD, make sure you offer to do something for pay, then write off all your training and equipment as a business expense.

Writing about your training experiences and thoughts here would not only fit the bill, but might garner further interest in DIR diving. ;)

seasnake
02-27-2007, 01:16 PM
But why should the recreational diver who only dives on reefs, over wrecks and in open water with no overheads, need a 7 foot hose on their primary reg?

They do allow a 5' hose for open water diving, isn't that true??

I remember the first time I tried out the bp/wing and doubles ... the double steel tanks threw my trim off so bad I spent the entire dive inverted head down. I remember thinking 'I'm never going to be able to do this . . .'. I've only got a few hundred dives in that set up and still find it more awkward then my old jacket style BC, but the practice, practice thing really does help. I just started doing EVERY dive in my doubles, just so I could get used to them. People looked at me strange doing 30' dives in doubles, but I figured the only way to get used to them is use them.

The same modified hogarthian set up can be applied to single tank diving too, but I've yet to buy a single tank bladder and adapter for my backplate. I'm thinking that might be a little easier to handle underwater, too?

Try to stay positive ... :p Anyone can go on a Caribbean vacation ... *pffft* where's the challenge in that? :)

seasnake
02-27-2007, 02:14 PM
And speaking of which, I think that valve drill is ridiculous. Anyone jumping in the water without testing their regs and inflator to be sure they are working and the air is on, deserves to be weeded out from the living. I can promise I am never turning my gas off underwater so I see no need to turn them back on.

Interesting ... Did the instructor discuss "why" you were learning how to turn your valves off and on?

seasnake
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't want to be the guy to jump in without my air on in a GUE course! :p

That skill can be used too for when you have a failure on your manifold or a freeflowing reg. You can shut down the offending post and conserve your gas supply.

Up here you can have a reg freeflow from freezing in the cold water. Often times shutting that valve down for a while will let the reg thaw out and you can open the valve up again and be good to go ...

amtrosie
02-27-2007, 05:59 PM
There are indeed many reasons for doing the out-of-gas drills, not the least of which is the jump in the water w/o gas on. One of the points of emphasis is the "situational awareness" thing. To be able to diagnose a problem without panic, or finding one self in an unintended problem and being able to extircate yourself, or your buddy is $2500 dollars well spent. Living to enjoy another day is "priceless". I would agree with your assessment of not having spent enough time with your gear before doing the course was not a positive thing to do and I think that your perception of the course might have been different had you been able to work on the skills rather than deal with your gear. I would hope that you would take what you observed and learned, practise to a level that enable you to be the "best" diver in the water. You will be a better buddy, and ecoligically conscience diver in the end.

Take a deep breath, allow the emotions of the class to subside and utilize the content of the class for YOUR BETTERMENT. Remember, he does not grow that first does not endure the pressure of molding process.

Archangel
03-09-2007, 04:38 AM
I went in thinking the instructor was going to show me techniques and guide me to doing them correctly.

Nope, they just show you how high the bar is.

The fact that it is absolutely mandatory to be fully DIR equipped is ridiculous IF the diver only does recreational diving.

Nope, and I hope you have carefully thought this through. The reason that the equipment is standardized is so that if you show up out here to dive with me, your gear is the same as my gear and if I had to reach for your knife, I would know where it is without looking at you.

But why should the recreational diver who only dives on reefs, over wrecks and in open water with no overheads, need a 7 foot hose on their primary reg?

You primary on your 7 foot hose is not for you, it is for me, your team mate. If I have a catastrophic loss of air, you are carrying my pony bottle on your back. It would be nice if I could back kick 7 feet away from you to maintain my buoyancy as we ascend, instead of being up in your grill.

Then I think, for $2500, I could have had a week in some carribean paradise. I am not trying to rip GUE, DIR or the course. I gave an account of my experience and how it affected me. Everyone speaks highly of it, I have heard nothing but great things about the course and wonder what did I miss? I admit I seem to be alone with my discontent and invite everyone reading this to consider that the opinions vastly favor the course and I am alone.

Nope you are not alone, everybody that passes thru fundies feels the same way. The power is that you had the balls to try. You got your moneys worth. It rocked your world, and you are better for it.

Stings dont it!

What you got, an appreciation of the BASICS, what any/every PADI/SSI instructor SHOULD have taught you in OW class. Actually I am a PADI DiveMaster and what you learned in fundies is in the first three pages of the PADI OW manual.

What your divebuddies get: A competent team mate who when fit hits the shan, you will bring them home safely to their loved ones.

Yup, you got your money's worth. Look at how many times a week you will practice number 3 of 5 (OOA/S drill). How many recreational divers with 200 dives practice number three.

Again, congrats. The koolaid is bitter at first tho you develop a taste for it, and it is SCHWEET!

Tevis

amtrosie
03-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Archangel,

Well said!!! I like the fin hitting the shan example.

Archangel
03-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Archangel,

Well said!!! I like the fin hitting the shan example.

hoo rah my DIR Brother. . .

hoo rah

T

amtrosie
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Archangel,

I drank of the koolaid yesterday, and man was it sweeeeeeeeeet! Even the big pooh-bah was there.