PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

Alex777
01-02-2007, 12:57 PM
:) Hi! Looks like I'm your first member from the Cayman Islands or, for that matter, from the Caribbean.

I am a PADI-certified diver (Master Scuba Diver) doing plain-vanilla tropical recreational diving 2 - 3 times per week, most weeks of the year. I would be happy to provide a local's answer to questions about diving on Grand Cayman (I am not affiliated with any dive op in any way).

I [ahem - embarrassed cough :o ] also have an interest in solo diving.

Finally, I have a legal background and can comment from time to time on legal issues involving diving.

So, let's chat ... :)

Alex777
01-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Soooo ... is anyone here?

Anybody at all?

ANYone?

OK, I'll turn out the light ...

Scott
01-06-2007, 02:24 AM
*stumbles* into the wall.. who in the h*** turned off the lights? *rubs* sore forehead

;)

Hello and Welcome to Scuba Magazine.... it's fairly new, so not too many people around yet ;)

I hear that Grand Cayman is an expensive vacation.. how is it for a local diving there?

Take care,
Scott

Sarah
01-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi Alex! :)

Can you explain the doctrine of Res Ipsa Loquittur, and the rebuttable presumptions that arise? ;)

Since you have a lot of Grand Cayman dive experience, maybe some info posted in that section......I wonder if there should be a Cayman Islands Subforum......

Alex777
01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
[gropes around in dark for light switch] Hey! I'm back!

Got 5 dives in this weekend - conditions here are perfect: no wind, current or clouds, 81 degree water temp, 100 foot + viz.

Talk on the dive boat was all about water temperature. In previous years, we would be down in the 75 - 77 degree range and I would be casting lustful glances at my wetsuit (don't usually wear one). This year, it's 81 and going back up. This may seem good, but come July, the temp will be over 86 and the coral will be dying again. So, we're concerned about the future.

Where was I? Oh, yeah ..

Scott: local diving is pretty fine, I think. Many boat operators charge 1/2 price to residents (but keep it quiet). Shore diving sites are numerous & high quality. There are many diving "groups" here, ranging from the highly organized (like BSAC) to the totally unorganized (like my friends - sorry guys). If you live here, there's not much else to do BUT dive.

iDiveChick: Really? You want to know about Res Ipsa Loquitur? This could be the start of a wonderful relationship ...

OK, it's like this: Say you are teaching the confined water part of the OW course in a fast flowing river and your student is swept away by a 6-knot current & drowns. Unfortunately (my condolences), you are sued. The Plaintiff would argue "res ipsa loquitur", meaning: the situation itself, and the result, prove you were negligent and so there is no need to examine what you actually did; the conclusion is obvious. This doctrine is actually not very popular anymore - kind of old-fashioned and discredited.

Sarah
01-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Alex,

I think I spied a new Cayman Isles forum.....

:)

Alex777
01-08-2007, 01:32 AM
iDiveChick:

OK, I can take a hint, I'll move over there ... :)

Sarah
01-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Not a hint to move (as we're enjoying your info here) so much as a notification I got you a Cayman Isles specific forum for all those wonderful Cayman Islands dive reports and especially photos I just know you will post shortly of Cayman diving for all of us to be jealous over, :p