PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Whale Shark Deliberately Killed in Batangas- Graphic Photos

The Publisher
02-16-2010, 01:51 AM
February 15th, 2010- Anilao

We are getting multiple unconfirmed reports in that a whale shark, possibly a juvenile has been found floundering in the Anilao, Philippines region with its fins cut off, only to die shortly thereafter.

As info comes in, we will keep you posted.

The Publisher
02-16-2010, 07:27 PM
February 16th, 2010

As an update, the maimed juvenile whale shark that was discovered by divers in the Anilao region of the Philippines has sadly passed way in the night from the cruelty inflicted upon it when its fins and tail were cut off.

The whale shark, also known as a butanding in local dialect, was discovered on the nearby shores of Maricaban early Monday morning by local and American divers.

Calls were placed the same early morning to Rey Manalo, who heads up the local volunteer marine life protection detail called Bantay-Dagat.

“The whale shark was very weak when we left it at 5 p.m.,” he said.

Rey Manalo says he believes the whale shark was caught perhaps by accident in local fisherman's nets, and they they may have cut off its fins and tails to make it easier to save the fishing net than damage the net.

Even though local volunteers established a vigil throughout the night staying with the juvenile whale shark, it died of its injuries and was buried by the Bantay-Dagat patrol Tuesday.

Local and International divers are expressing outrage, both at the senseless cruelty of the slaughter of this gentle giant, and as well as towards the Bantay-Dagat, also known as Sea Patrol, who are subsidized by fees paid by divers to dive in the local region.

The really sad thing about all of this is just how senseless it was, and how it is a public relations nightmare for Pinas dive tourism promotion.

For the tiny cost of a fishing net, something the local and International dive community communicating via social networking sites could and would have easily reimbursed the fisherman for, what could have been an fantastic positive publicity event and story, instead was turned into a senseless death and public relations nightmare, all over the cost of a damn fishing net.

Sec. 97 of RA 8550 and Fisheries Administrative Order 193 prohibits the catching of whale sharks and manta rays. Violation to the law carries 6 months to 4 years imprisonment as penalty.

photos by Peter Garraty /Darren Gilkison

acelockco
02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
That really makes me upset. :(

greenturtle
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
This is indeed very sad!

acelockco
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
now that I have seen the photos, I must say it is disgusting how a human could do something like that.

An eye for an eye, and arm for a fin. I hope they find the people that did this and cut their arms off!

lars2923
02-17-2010, 10:23 PM
What a selfish, ignorant and cruel act.

xkirkie
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Please check out the clip i edited, raw footage is in my favorite lists...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-uPOMSJe40

Due to this Sad Killing,i decided to form a Group on facebook "Saving Our Sharks from a bowl of soup" hoping to reach n educate more people about our Sharks n the cause is also killing us.Feel free to join n help the group to grow...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&ref=ts&gid=111819872167679

February 15th, 2010- Anilao

We are getting multiple unconfirmed reports in that a whale shark, possibly a juvenile has been found floundering in the Anilao, Philippines region with its fins cut off, only to die shortly thereafter.

As info comes in, we will keep you posted.