PDA

View Full Version : Red's Scarlet First Photos

The Publisher
02-14-2010, 06:02 AM
We received a special invitation for an advance showing of the Scarlet Ultra high resolution videocameras that START in the 2k range and go up to well over IMAX resolution. Keep in mind 2k about double the resolution of the current crop of 1080p videocameras.

Everything about the event was really slick, from a demo real in 4k projected in 4K by a Sony Ultra HD projector onto a massive 40' screen, to the hjuge array of fresh donuts, drinks, and knowledgeable staff. Even the neck straps for the invitee ID cards were the highest quality straps and dark grey clasps I have seen.

The units were really slick, and the build quality and cosmetics of the units, hardware and accessories were flawless.

Even the round serrated rosettes for accessories has replaceable inserts should you wear out the hard anodized wear surfaces.

We spoke extensively with senior lead engineers about the lens offerings and although it will be after the Scarlet release, there are plans for a full automatic Red zoom lens suitable for underwater videographers who don't always manual focus.

It was interesting to hear the Red folks state that all the major flat panel HD TV manufacturers had 4k TV's in the wings, they are just waiting for a suitable density of 4k content.

They also discussed how they will have an external monitor that will be a touch follow focus, meaning once you see an object on the external HD monitor, you touch the image of that object, and no matter where it goes within the screen, it will focus lock on that object. Now if only they can implement that within an underwater external monitor housing!

As to controlling the camera via various cables for the popular crop of electronic housings, the outdated LANC ports will be RS22 ports that can control far more parameters, so it will be a matter of electronic housing manufacturers making camera trays with RS22 compatible electronics.

Most of the below Scarlets were loaded with accessories that underwater videographers may only use on land.

And yes, the camera was accidentally set to 2011 instead of 2010, so the last 1 was Photoshopped out.

nachoraid
02-19-2010, 08:31 PM
is this an Scarlett? or a Red One.... looks massive...

Nacho

The Publisher
02-20-2010, 01:48 AM
All the photos are Scarlets.

I agree, the form factors shown are not really that much smaller than the Reds.

For underwater camera work, many of the peripheral accessories would not be used though.

It will be interesting to see of Sony has any answer. 1080p is going to go the way of the dinosaur, as all the major flat panel TV manufacturers have 4k TV's that they can go with, they are just waiting for suitable content infrastructure.

MysteryGirl
03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
WOW! I want one... or two...

The Publisher
03-10-2010, 07:00 PM
The idea of being able to shoot with a pro videocam that has versions in excess of 5K, which is IMAX resolution, for $10-$15k instead of $100,000, and at frames per second in the 120 range, and in RAW format, with reusable memory instead of $3000 for an 8 minutes film cartridge, well, it is all pretty spectacular for indie cinematographers.

Jon Shaw
03-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Looks awesome, was it actually working? Was this the S35 Scarlet? Was that also the RED Pro Primes?

Lucky b'stard! Would have been cool to play with it.

J

The Publisher
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't know if these were working or not..they sure were finished. They kept them under tight wraps in the display cases till their staff was there.

The various Scarlets, from the S35 to to other all look the same, the brains internals are just different, and some have different lens mounts.

They had lots of lenses there, but none that were motorized which are coming later.

I wouldn't be surprised to not see motorized lenses for several years.

Jon Shaw
03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I think I'm going full circle and coming back to wanting Scarlet, I have a few lenses that could work and a great 11-16mm which would be stunning underwater. It will be interesting to see when Epic is released as that's their first priority.

The Publisher
03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
I think the only thing Epic will be is the price! lol

Jon Shaw
03-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Or it's been and going to be an EPIC wait!!!!!