PDA

View Full Version : Using other's images in the Gallery

Sarah
02-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Some underwater photographers on other image respository sites and web sites have mentioned to me that some of the photos in the Gallery are photos that they have taken but are posted by someone without the permission of the authors.

Just a friendly reminder that it is not appropriate to take photos from online photo groups and post them here under your name. Photographers work hard and don't really make any fair wage for their considerable efforts so we discourage such misuse.

I have been sent photos in the past when I have asked for specific animal photos to get the Gallery up. I have been told that an administrator of another forum is the one who sent me some images with the e-mail name of "J. Puutesi" which someone pointed out is an anagram for "I Set U Up", so she could then notify the photogs she took the images from and start trouble.

If we are made aware of such photos and are shown a link back to the original photographer and they are not a link style photo then we will do our best to remove them. All you have to do is ask and show it is yours and viola!

Purpleturtle
02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
D'you know I've even had an instructor hand me their business card with one of my photos on it!!! 2 years after I took the shot. They said they didnt know where they got the image from.
No big deal tho'...it was a pretty average shot anyway.

Sarah
02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
You think that is bad, I had a friend who had some thinning hair so he had some transplants done and 6 months later he sees his head in a newspaper ad for the surgical facility even though he specifically crossed off authorization to use photos.

Zero
02-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Whats the go with people photoshopping pics off here and reposting them back here? Allowed? Not allowed? Needs thought?

Matt

Sarah
04-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Whats the go with people photoshopping pics off here and reposting them back here? Allowed? Not allowed? Needs thought?

Matt

I would hope people would be receptive to seeing what can be done with enhancing their photos, but I have taken many photos here and tried to correct them in Photoshop, but aside from a user avatar, I have never posted it. I guess if a user gives permission it is ok.

Zero
04-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Everyones Permitted to play with my pics. Go for it and have fun just credit where credits due thanks. And make sure you post them.

Matt

seasnake
04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
And if you make my pics better ... send me a tutorial on how to do it!! lol

Van Weng Koon
04-25-2007, 02:10 AM
The whole idea of this forum page is so that members get to share their photos, get some feedback as to technique or other ways to improve our u/w phot skills. Pirating some one else's photos and posting them up serves no useful purpose.

What is more dishonest I think is to lift another person's work and then profit from it, without even crediting the original author.

:mad:

Sarah
04-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Speaking of feedback, I'm dying to run many of the photos taken with the consumer cams here and run it through Photoshop!

Van Weng Koon
04-27-2007, 01:06 AM
As the moderator of this forum, you are entitled to edit any posting and that includes photos. But this does not detract from the fact that you have to acknowledge the original author and mention that the photo has been altered by Photoshop and in what way.

If every body learns from the process that's fine.

:cool:

Sarah
04-27-2007, 03:22 AM
We hope nobody has modified anyone's photos here without their permission, and the permissable modifications we have done were color corrections in Photoshop, a free service I periodically offer to members here, but he is right, please do not take others photos and modify them and post as your own. :)