PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Albany Western Australia

Tanja C
01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
New to the site I thought it time I indroduce myself. I have been diving since 2005 in this spectacular part of the world. I began my training with SSI and am currently extending my skills with an advanced nitrox and decompression procedures course with TDI. I have around 100 dives under my belt to far.

The water is a little chilly down here, so it's dry suits almost all year round - could not live without my dry suit :) There is so much great diving in Albany with many of the best sites below 25m. The warm Leeuwin Current runs through our waters so there is a beautiful mix of temperate and tropical life. I have been lucky enough to swim with seals and have had dives with a whale song sound track. Heaven!

I have a keen interest in photography on dry land and am hoping to take it beneath the waves soon. I'm currently researching cameras and housings so any tips and advice would be welcome. I look forward to sharing all your thoughs, ideas and advice, and perhaps make a few interesting contributions too.

Happy Diving
Tanja C

The Publisher
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
G' Day Tanja, welcome to the SMN community.

We have a large photography section here, but the Canon G10 and an separate strobe will get you started quite well. Try stuff off E-bay till you're ready to go with a Nikon D300 or D700 and twin strobes.

Tanja C
01-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have a Canon EOS 40D but I can't bear the tought of getting that wet until I really know what I am doing. No doubt the housing is also going to cost a small fortune. I will have a look into the Canon G10.

I discovered the photography section yesterday and already know that it is going to be a great place for sharing knowledge.

It's going to be an exciting year!

The Publisher
01-27-2010, 02:23 PM
When you are ready to have your credit card limit raise to the "stun" setting, Hugyfot has a really slick looking housing that has a pressure tester which uses vacuum air to test all seals prior to diving for the ultimate peace of mind.

If you are rightfully paranoid about the EOS 40D, a great camera, the Hugyfot will solve that and the $500 or so for a new Canon G10 can go towards the housing, or you can get a 2nd used EOS 40D as your underwater camera for about the same $500.

greenturtle
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome Tanja and Addison! I'm new to this forum too! ;)

We hope to see you around. Have been to other scuba sites but I find the folks in this forum to be a friendly bunch.

jingjing
07-09-2010, 09:25 AM
could not live without my dry suit There is so much great diving in Albany with many of the best sites below 25m. The warm Leeuwin Current runs through our waters so there is a beautiful mix of temperate and tropical life. I have been lucky enough to swim with seals and have had dives with a whale song sound track. Heaven??