PDA

View Full Version : New Book On Salvage Divers

The Publisher
01-22-2010, 05:38 AM
http://www.deepdarkanddangerous.com/resources/dddsitebookcover.jpg

Deep, Dark and Dangerous (http://www.deepdarkanddangerous.com/1.html):
On the Bottom with the Northwest Salvage Divers
By Rebecca Harrison

Salvage divers work underwater in a blinding darkness. In their cumbersome diving gear, these men have barely enough room to move around, while at the same time fighting the cold temperatures and fast currents. It is a dirty, unromantic and highly dangerous way of earning a living. Yet, these divers would not have traded their jobs for any other profession. From locating sunken boxcars to repairing concrete foundations for bridges, no task is too risky. Any underwater salvage or repair work becomes the job of these elite divers. Salvage divers must be carpenters, masons, riggers, hydraulic mechanics, ironworkers, welders, pile bucks and underwater engineers. They must be able to adapt all blueprints, tools and equipment to the harsh realities of the underwater environment.

About the Author:
Rebecca Harrison was born and raised in Oregon. She spends time traveling around the world writing and working. Her first published book, Child Abuse: A Guide For Professionals, was published in 1983. Her academic credits include an M.S. in Education from Portland State University. Harrison now works and writes, while living with her husband, in Oregon.

Why I wrote Deep Dark and Dangerous: On the Bottom with the Northwest Salvage Divers

I am not a diver, not even a scuba diver. I had the opportunity to meet a few construction divers who worked for Fred Devine Salvage and Advanced American Diving in Portland, Oregon. These hardworking commercial divers, men of courage and ironclad determination, whose lives are on the line each time they descend to the bottom of the sea, or the murky dark of powerful rivers, do not fear death, but look forward to completion of their work or treasures they find.
I was able to meet with the divers, and/or the families, and divers they had known throughout their careers underwater. If it were not for the generosity of these men and their families, this book would never have been written.

acelockco
01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Sounds interesting. One thing I noticed about most diving books is that even though they may be new, the photos all seem so dated even the cover photos. I have noticed this in both books about diving as well as in dive training manuals.

Any thoughts or comments on the reason? Is it style, lack of new photos available, or something else?