PDA

View Full Version : TSA Security "Theater"

Sarah
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Richard Reid, the Muslim Shoe bomber, when asked how he came up with the idea of hiding explosives in his shoes, said he just watched the security screeners to see what they did and didn't check. He said in just a minute or two it was obvious they didn't check shoes.

So now all TSA screening sites ask people to put their shoes into the gray plastic trays, unless of course you buy a pilots uniform, at which point they miraculously fail to check their shoes.

Ok, so learning from the lesson of Richard Reid, if one is bent on evil was to watch the security screeners, what do they continue to not check?

And if they continue to not check those items/places, what is the point?!

Unless of course, it is all "Security Theater" and accomplishes absolutely nothing other than having your person violated.

seasnake
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Have you noticed that the screening at each airport is different too? Some airports don't check shoes ... some have a coronary if you don't get them off fast enough. How come some airports I walk through the scanner doorway thingy and everyone is happy, and then at the next airport they pull me aside and run their magic wand repeatedly over my crotch? Sometimes I have to take my watch off and put it in the gray bin, sometimes I don't. What's up with that?

hbh2oguard
02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
don't know but out of LAX I didn't have to take my flaps (shoes) off, returning home out of daytona, I think, a little tiny airport they made me take them off. It didn't bother me at all, but what are you going to hide in a piece of rubber and webbing? I found it funny or scary that a tiny airport was stricter than one of the biggest airports in the nation.

AlidaDiver
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
I think it all depends on the country and where the plane is going. I've had to take off my tevas (sandles with no place to hide anything!) and I wasn't wearing socks even!

Airports also have the air-puffer machine now. Have you had the experience??
You stand in a small booth and air is puffed down over your body.
They say it's to detect certain powders (explosives, I guess).
Another fun experience!

Have you gotten poofed?:D

seasnake
02-21-2007, 02:00 PM

I did! At one airport on my last trip ... and I had no idea what was going on! There were no signs or anything and I hadn't even heard of it before. Like a sheep I just got in the booth when I was told to ... ha ha ... I could've been vaporized Star Trek Red Shirt style!

Ron

BamaCaveDiver
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I think it all depends on the country and where the plane is going. I've had to take off my tevas (sandles with no place to hide anything!) and I wasn't wearing socks even!

Airports also have the air-puffer machine now. Have you had the experience??
You stand in a small booth and air is puffed down over your body.
They say it's to detect certain powders (explosives, I guess).
Another fun experience!

Sounds like a nitrate sniffer; they have been using smaller versions for years at some airports. I have had my briefcase, laptop, and other carry on stuff sniffed several times even prior to 9/11. I have yet to be poofed though;)

Sarah
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Would the employee who operates such a machine be called a "poofer"?

I actually think this is a far superior and less offensive means of searching. My guys friends are repulsed about the idea of some guy rubbing all over them to accomplish nothing other than copping a feel. Where do they get these guys? Fellas, would you want to be a full time guy-feeler upper?

seasnake
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM
The first time I ever flew, on the way back I was "screened" by this huge, dark guy ... 6' 5" ... muscles busting out all over ... and dressed like a woman. His make up and sculpted eyebrows would make any runway model jealous. I was afraid ... :(

BillW
03-04-2007, 06:16 AM
You left out an answer. It does a wonderful job of making the masses feel comfortable enough to fly and not tank the travel industry. Yes, it’s theatre of the warm and fuzzy.