PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Diver Roll Call

RebreatherDave
01-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Just wanted to add my name into the hat. Beach diving is against my religion although I'll pull barbecue or equipment security watch or do boat dives.

PhotoTJ
01-14-2007, 07:01 AM
SoCal here. I'll do beach or boat.

Jefe
01-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Ventura area, fairly new OW diver about to take my advance dive class.

Sarah
01-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Jefe,

Welcome. You're lucky, you're right in line with the good dive sites at Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel.

DivingSurveyor
01-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Pair of divers from Temecula, here.

Me: PADI OW, AOW, Rescue - in DM
Laura: PADI AW, OW

Sarah
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello "me" and Laura! ;)

czzzaar
01-22-2007, 05:36 AM
I just moved away from So Cal, I sure will miss the diving there. Well, my brother-in-law is still there so we are bound to visit.

I miss the Pacific Star, for sure.

scubapro25
01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi, Mikey here....

from San Diego, home of the sunken Canadian warship Yukon, which some of you may have dived.

We have year-round diving, but still wear dry suits in the winter, when the water temp. gets down to 50 F. or so......[brrrrr!]

Dive Safe!

Mikey

PADI Master Diver, DAN DES, O2, etc. blah, blah, blah....

[670 Cold Water Dives]

SoCalDiveGirl
01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
from San Diego, home of the sunken Canadian warship Yukon, which some of you may have dived.

We have year-round diving, but still wear dry suits in the winter, when the water temp. gets down to 50 F. or so......[brrrrr!]

As a San Diego diver also, I must be a weenie because I wear a drysuit all year long :D

Missy

RebreatherDave
01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
SoCalDiveGirl, I wear a drysuit all year too. In the summer I sometimes just omit my hood.

I don't think you're a weenie at all! I think you're smart.

scubapro25
01-23-2007, 03:26 AM
SoCalDiveGirl, I wear a drysuit all year too. In the summer I sometimes just omit my hood.

I don't think you're a weenie at all! I think you're smart.

I admit I'm sometimes torn when it's 102 F. in the shade in Sept. and the water temp is 72 F., I sometimes find myself looking longingly at my wet suit........but, juggling the weighting all over again just seems like too much trouble, so like you, sometimes I just toss my hood...or gloves. :D

scubapro25
01-23-2007, 03:27 AM
I admit I'm sometimes torn when it's 102 F. in the shade in Sept. and the water temp is 72 F., I sometimes find myself looking longingly at my wet suit........but, juggling the weighting all over again just seems like too much trouble, so like you, sometimes I just toss my hood...or gloves. :D

Or, if I'm REALLY desperate, I just crack my zipper ever so slightly....:D

SoCalDiveGirl
01-23-2007, 06:16 AM

I usually go topless (as in hoodless :p ) in summer too, but not on the longer/deeper dives..
As far as drysuit/wetsuit, I tend to get cold easily and I don't like the 'constriction' of a wetsuit, so that's why I go dry 365 days a year :)

scubapro25
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I usually go topless (as in hoodless :p ) in summer too, but not on the longer/deeper dives..
As far as drysuit/wetsuit, I tend to get cold easily and I don't like the 'constriction' of a wetsuit, so that's why I go dry 365 days a year :)

Exactly. Plus, there's the matter of thermoclines, where it can be 72 F. on the surface, but 60 F. at 100 ft.

The other variable is liners, of course. You can adjust the thickness of the liner that you wear, to adapt to various conditions.

new_2_scuba
01-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Dry Suit divers ARE weenies!! :p Just kidding,,,, I just say that to make myself feel better because I cant afford a drysuit. YET!

scubapro25
01-31-2007, 04:29 AM
Dry Suit divers ARE weenies!! :p Just kidding,,,, I just say that to make myself feel better because I cant afford a drysuit. YET!

As they say: 'There are two types of divers: those who pee in their wetsuits and those who lie.' :p

Sarah
01-31-2007, 05:22 AM
I thought Windoze PC uers were weenies...... ;)

TravelnSJ
01-31-2007, 11:42 PM
All this Cold water discussion made me go put on a sweatshirt....We need to get you guys to warmer waters:)

SoCalDiveGirl
02-01-2007, 06:21 AM
All this Cold water discussion made me go put on a sweatshirt....We need to get you guys to warmer waters:)

Maybe we need to get you to colder waters :D

Zero
02-01-2007, 06:50 AM

Ill be in on that. Where are you taking us?:D

Matt

TravelnSJ
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe we need to get you to colder waters :D

I recently experienced cooler waters in Rangiroa....average temp was 84:) with thermoclines to a cold 82:( ...Burrrrrr

TravelnSJ
02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Ill be in on that. Where are you taking us?:D

Matt

Heron Island....water temps should be around 81 to 82 this time of the year:)

hbh2oguard
02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
It would be nice to have warm tropic waters, but we really can't complain. Socal water isn't really that cold. In a 7mm and a hooded vest, I can't say I've ever been that cold. Plus dry suits are a pain in the butt, too much work (sometimes), can't just hose them off and hang them up like a wetsuit.

TravelnSJ
02-19-2007, 10:39 PM
LOL...I think 7mm is a pain in the butt:mad: ...but I have not had one of those on since I got certified in 2000:) ......I wear a 1mm shorty....the only way to dive:D

scubapro25
02-19-2007, 10:40 PM
It would be nice to have warm tropic waters, but we really can't complain. Socal water isn't really that cold. In a 7mm and a hooded vest, I can't say I've ever been that cold. Plus dry suits are a pain in the butt, too much work (sometimes), can't just hose them off and hang them up like a wetsuit.

Yeah........I used to say the same thing about dry suits. Until I got one.

Now, I just can't bring myself to be 'cold and wet' in 52 F. water, when I could be 'warm and dry.' :D

Dive safe,

Mikey

Sarah
02-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Switching from a wetsuit to a drysuit is like switching from a PC to a Mac, you'll NEVER go back except for tropical of course.

SoCalDiveGirl
02-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Plus dry suits are a pain in the butt, too much work (sometimes), can't just hose them off and hang them up like a wetsuit.

Sure you can.. Hose them off, mainly the valves.. hang them up. Easy peasy.. (and they typically dry much faster than wetsuits, depending on the type of material they're made of) :)

Sarah
02-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Especially the Viking rubberized drysuits which dry off really fast.

Zero
02-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Even if they are wet inside they are still warmer than a semidry or wetsuit. Unfortunately SJ you are wrong about the 1mm shortie being the only way to dive. Theres always the bikini. Much more appealling but only if its on a female body.

Matt

hbh2oguard
02-21-2007, 05:42 AM
yeah maybe when I grow old and rich (hopefully) I'll get one, but I'll always still surf in a wetsuit, so why not dive in one too.

new_2_scuba
02-21-2007, 06:12 AM
yeah maybe when I grow old and rich (hopefully) I'll get one, but I'll always still surf in a wetsuit, so why not dive in one too.

I haven't gotten cold while diving here in So Cal. It seems almost like cheating to dive using a drysuit...... but it sure would be nice to dive early in the morning and then head to work after just rinsing your hair instead of having to take a full shower!! When u get old and rich will you buy me a drysuit too??? :rolleyes:

dmay
02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
7mm open cell wetsuit works fine for me in the winter, I'll switch to a 5mm open cell when the water gets above 64-65. I can stay in the water comfortably for 4 or 5 hours with the 7mm in 54-55 degree water.

SoCalDiveGirl
02-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Well once again, I'm either spoiled or a cold water weenie because I will choose a drysuit over a wetsuit ANY day in SoCal!

hbh2oguard
02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
dmay we must just be warm blooded because I'm fine with my wetsuit, plus during rookie school for lifeguarding I was in 49 deg. F in trunks. Ever since then I've never been cold in the water

Jefe
02-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Jefe,

Welcome. You're lucky, you're right in line with the good dive sites at Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel.

Yeah. Except for one trip to Catalina, all of my dives have been to Anacapa. But, I don't really have many dives under my belt...yet.

I got myself a money pit, I mean boat. So, hopefully I'll be getting wet a bit more.

Sarah
02-23-2007, 01:24 AM
The problem with having your own boat is you now need a guinea pig to volunteer to stay on it while everyone else gets to play except them!

SCDG, I am with you, give me a drysuit or give me death! ;)

Jefe
03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
If I were to do a dive in open water or medium to heavy current, I would most definately want someone on the boat. I feel pretty secure leaving the boat alone near shore or in a secured cove. I just dive the anchor line(s) and make sure it's secure. The best way to do it, though, is to have either 3 or 4 divers so 1 or two stay on the boat.

hbh2oguard
03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
yea if you have 3 divers you can rotate and you each get two dives in with different buddies

DrBill
03-29-2007, 01:57 AM
I thought Windoze PC uers were weenies...... ;)

Them's fighting words, lady.

Wow... Scott is here, too. Hey, I'm planning some warm water diving in the next 12 months... Red Sea and a return to SE Asia. However, you realize they are predicting another hot summer... water temps here in SoCal may hit the very upper 70's again. There goes the kelp.

Zero
03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
And we would be fighting if we could get our machines to run at a decent pace cause A/V security and all that other background programs slow the hell out of them. Guess its time for an upgrade. C64 anyone?

Matt

SeaDog
04-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I wear a 7mm O'Neil one piece when I play, and a 7mm Kettenhofen 3 piece when I work. I've had the O'Neil on down to 52 degrees at ft+ and while I do feel the thermals, I'm still very comfortable. I may try a dry suit someday, but for now, I'm all wet......you know what I mean.
On the Side, the Conditions are great right now and I'm figuring on a Santa Barbara Island trip the last week of April to photo some Sea-lions. I usually take the "Sand Dollar" out of San Pedro. Always a good time.

seasnake
04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Guess its time for an upgrade. C64 anyone?

Matt

C64 Rocks!!!!!

SoCalDiveGirl
04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
. Hey, I'm planning some warm water diving in the next 12 months...

Dr B, sitting in your bathtub with your gear doesn't count. :D

PhotoTJ
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a drysuit, but have yet to wear it. I dive an xcel 976. As far as cold goes, last year I forgot a wetsuit on a lobster dive, so I dove in a hood, gloves, booties, jeans and a t-shirt. Water was 59, I did 40 mins., and got 7 bugs.

But hey, I'm a little nuts.

DrBill
04-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Hey, Missy... does that mean you won't be my dive buddy on those dives. Darn, I was hoping.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Hey, Missy... does that mean you won't be my dive buddy on those dives. Darn, I was hoping.

I'm not sure we'd both fit in a bathtub with our dive gear on Dr B... A jacuzzi maybe.... :cool:

DrBill
04-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure we'd both fit in a bathtub with our dive gear on Dr B... A jacuzzi maybe.... :cool:

Now, Missy, you know jacuzzis and hot tubs are not good after diving... increased the chance of a DCS hit.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Now, Missy, you know jacuzzis and hot tubs are not good after diving... increased the chance of a DCS hit.

Dr B... we weren't talking about jacuzzis after diving... Silly. That was the "warm water" diving in question ... heheh

kingartur
06-02-2007, 09:22 PM
i just got certified basic diver, i live in san diego looking forward to divin and getting better at diving just wanted to say hello

Sarah
06-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Welcome King Arthur! Have you found the Holy Grail yet? ;)

Archangel
06-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Well once again, I'm either spoiled or a cold water weenie because I will choose a drysuit over a wetsuit ANY day in SoCal!

I am reading these posts with a grin on my face. I am Tevis, I love Missy, I am a wanna be Technical Diver. . .just so that I can dive with Missy. . .

('cause I have professed my love in an open forum other than MySpace:p)

So, all joking aside. . . why do we dive drysuits? Because this is So Cal and we are hardcore. . .hoo rah!

We dive cold, we dive deep, and with those monstrous steel double 130s on my back holding mad air. . . we dive long.

Missy, Farnsworth clocked 41 freeze grees at 130 fsw. . .

THAT is why y'all need to start hoarding your foodstamps for your drysuit.

And again seriously, tell us what we can do to help you navigate the maze of drysuit purchase. . . . it is mired in fleecability.

Guess I love iDiveChic also, so I will be traipsing around these parts a LOT more.

Happy Saturday all,

Tevis