PDA

View Full Version : Gates EX1/EX1R with SWP44C meets BBC HD Standards

The Publisher
01-13-2010, 03:26 PM
From Gates:

To our customers and dealers,

I received unofficial word today from our friends in Bristol that the Sony EX1/EX1R cameras with a Gates housing, SWP44C port and nanoFlash recorder meet the BBC HD requirements for full HD level acquisition. As outlined in a previous email this is notable for several reasons:

The required equipment is now substantially smaller and more cost effective – not only in acquisition but for travel in these times of increasing security restrictions.

The BBC requirements for HD acquisition are met with a system:
Sony EX1/EX1R camera which has a 1/2 in sensor, 1920 x 1080, 4.2.2 ;
nanoFlash recorder set to record at 50Mbps, Long GOP or above;
SWP44C port;Gates housing;

No other housing manufacturer can claim such a prestigious position for broadcast quality video form the EX1/EX1R (or EX3) cameras. The need for a Gates housing and SWP44C port are key in meeting the BBC requirements.
History suggests the BBC acceptance of a full HD level system means others will follow for their Gold Standard HD acquisition: National Geographic, Discovery, PBS, Animal Planet, etc.

In short, the opportunities for production work and stock footage have just been greatly expanded. The EX1 system means you can travel more lightly and deliver results acceptable at the highest broadcast level.

The Gates housing for the EX1R is due out in 4 weeks and a kit for the nanoFlash to mount inside the EX1/EX1R housing will be available in March. It is an independent kit that requires not modification to the housing or camera. Installation is easy and straightforward.

Best of success,

John

Jon Shaw
01-14-2010, 06:44 AM
With the nano flash drive it does make an awesome piece of kit!
100 mbps with 1/2 chips, 4:2:2, HDCAM Cinealta Quality (well nearly) with EX1 price tag.

acelockco
01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
With the nano flash drive it does make an awesome piece of kit!

It should, we are talking $20,000 plus of equipment there.

Inexpensive on a professional level, but nothing even remotely close to something most consumers could afford.

Jon Shaw
01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
But a consumer doesn't really need HDCAM quality....
There are a heap of great consumer cams out there at pretty good cost.... well for the video world anyway.

acelockco
01-15-2010, 02:30 AM
But a consumer doesn't really need HDCAM quality....
There are a heap of great consumer cams out there at pretty good cost.... well for the video world anyway.

There sure are. What I really hate though is that most of the consumer level digital video cameras don't even come close in quality to even the lowest quality analog/tape units. I just bought a hard disk video camera from Sony, and I must say I am extremely disappointed with the video quality. I have an 10 year old 8mm non digital video camera that cost about the same and the video quality is amazing. Unfortunately I have no way of getting that video onto a computer for editing without messing up the quality.

David White
02-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Years ago I filmed with a SONY TCRV101 8mm camera and, when it failed, purchased a SONY digital 8 camera. The quality in the newer camera was not as good as it's predecessor but it was capable of digitizing all the tapes that I had previously shot. There is a SONY TRV330 camera available on eBay right now for $23.49 which will accomplish the task of digitizing 8mm. tapes for input to the computer without suffering any loss of quality. I am holding out on acquisition of the newer HD cameras since I appreciate all the benefits of shooting to tape.

The Publisher
02-05-2010, 01:13 AM
I will be putting my paws all over a Scarlet and an Epic in a week or so, I hope to get photos for all.

Jon Shaw
03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Any news????

The Publisher
03-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Any news????

Yes.....here (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?t=3156&highlight=scarlet)