PDA

View Full Version : Thailand scuba diving accident leaves one tourist missing, another cut in half

greenturtle
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Hmm, I think I'll not surface first unless I'm out of air!

Still better to look, hear before breaking surface! Sad accident.

----------------------------------------------------------
by LUTHER MONROE

January 11, 2009

PATTAYA, Thailand — One tourist was cut in half and another is missing after they were run over by a high-speed boat while scuba diving off Pattaya.

Authorities told CDNN that Poliakov Oleg, a 40-year-old Russian national visiting Thailand with family and friends, was cut in half by "Kantarat 409", a twin-engine speedboat ferrying 10 tourists from Koh Larn to Pattaya Beach's Hard Rock Cafe plaza.

The identity of the other scuba diver, also a Russian national, has not yet been released.

Police said Oleg and the other diver were hit at about 2 p.m. while scuba diving at a popular dive site near Koh Larn, about 300 meters offshore in Pattaya's Bang Lamung district.

Provincial Police Region 2 deputy chief Pol Maj Gen Suwira Songmetta said the boat's skipper, Ritthirong Phanla, 47, was arrested and charged him with reckless driving.

Phanla told police he was not able to stop when the scuba divers suddenly resurfaced in front of the vessel.

It is not known if the victims were using a dive flag or other signaling devices that alert boaters that scuba divers are in the area.

acelockco
01-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Ouch.

That really sucks.

The Publisher
01-20-2010, 06:32 AM
What a horrible way to go.

Joji
01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
That is really really BAD........