PDA

View Full Version : video: live coral biolglobe

spareairdiver
11-04-2009, 10:27 PM
never seen tanks like these before in your house I'd bet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOsitYhihc

acelockco
11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Beautiful Nano Reefs. Really impressive!

I can't even imagine how difficult it is to keep the levels proper. When I was a kid, I had a 20 gallon reef tank and it was extremely difficult due to the small size. I am sure the technology developed in the past 15-20 years or so has made it easier.

What are you using for filtration, etc in your setup?

shinek
11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Very cool, I've got a couple of tanks, one fresh water, one salt, both about 55 gallons. I have enough trouble keeping the glass clean on a square tank, how do you keep the algae etc. down so you can enjoy what's in there?

spareairdiver
11-07-2009, 01:59 PM
its impractical in larger tanks to do the kind of water changes I do, 100%, so films can build up. Thank you both for stopping in!

I use the little algae scraper I built from rare earth magnets, that will remove biofilms and diatoms but the coralline has to be removed with a scouring pad or a razor blade scraper/

There are no filters or skimmers, since there are also no fish all the waste generated from the inverts and some minor food degredation is handled by the live rock surface area, acting in the same way a filter cartridge does in a larger filter mechanism. I just blast the rocks clean with each change...

even though looks are deceiving these are easier to keep than larger setups, because the work is so small in proportion to a larger tank, water changes on these gallon units only takes about 4 mins so there is no procrastination or cost issues, I believe this is what makes them keep so much life this long now, the vid was shot just last month in my casa

nice to meet you, im off to go diving now at our local ywca, they know me as the little yellow scuba bottle guy :) (spare air diver was literal) lol