PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Inspiration case " TITANBOX " and the " ALIBOX"

michael hearn
02-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Here are the promised photographs of my replacement cases.
The aluminium boxes are black anodised, with and without holes.
And a few pictures of the titanium box during the making process.

Any questions i will be glad to answer.

Michael

michael hearn
02-04-2007, 02:56 PM
More photo's

michael hearn
02-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Even more photo's !! :

michael hearn
02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
The last 2 pictures.

mattwave
02-04-2007, 04:53 PM
when can I buy one!

Admin
02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
A former career of mine was as a prototype aerospace machinist and then a quality control manager in aerospace manufacturing.

We produced quite a few componants for classified and non-classified systems, as well as man-rated and unman- rated space exploration and intelligence gathering vehicles. I've personally made all the B1 bomber's nose landing gear uplock bellcranks, and various componants in the shuttle motors that drive the bay doors, etc.

Having said that, I have seen a whole host of travel frames and I must say, by far Michael Hearn's frames are by far the best engineered and best finished frames I have seen. It appears to me that they are designed and produced exactly as we would have made them with an identical fit and finish one would expect from an experienced aerospace machinist.

Take a close look at the machine work. You'll notice the screw holes are countersunk and recessed properly, the edges of mating componants are all perfectly bilateral, the welds are perfectly finished so as to disappear, two rods are used per side allowing for varying diameters of cylinders, all the edges are radiused, the top port hinges are perfectly symmetrical and perpendicular and it appears the center section is pre-drilled for the superior MetalSub brackets of whose quality is commensurate with the Hearn boxes.

Zero
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Makes me nearly want to go and and buy an Inspo or Evo just to get one of the boxes. Is the APD logo a hint of the future? The back mounted counterlungs make it look so much cleaner.

Matt

michael hearn
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
hi
APD logo was a one off for APD
thanks dave for those comments ,makes it all worthwhile.
i never intended to build the lightest box but the best quality. i was sure people would pay a little more for that extra mile.
my titanium boxes are expensive but they look great and are pretty much indestructable. the aliboxes come with several ways to fix cylinders and in the pics they have alu bases, these also come in 316 SS. the evo box is 5 cm shorter than the inspo.i am also busy making a hybrid, half titanium half alu.if any one is interested my web site is www.divedesign.be
if any of you want to know how i did my rear lungs i would be happy to explain.
thanks
mike :)

Zero
02-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Are you doing them for any other units apart from the APD stuff? How manly would a Mk15 look with a Ti housing?:eek: The minions would just drop to their knees then:D

Matt

michael hearn
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Are you doing them for any other units apart from the APD stuff? How manly would a Mk15 look with a Ti housing?:eek: The minions would just drop to their knees then:D

Matt.
got somthing new coming this year,and involves a bit of titanium,just gotta wait another few weeks.
mike:D

Sarah
02-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey, I thought being a tease was the exclusive domain of us girls! Now we have to compete with a mysterious new not yet anounced Ti box for rebreathers?!

;)

WreckDiver
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
VERY VERY NICE.!
I have done that type of work my entire life and that is some fine stuff.!
Great job.!

Dago.

Zero
02-07-2007, 05:32 AM
got somthing new coming this year,and involves a bit of titanium,just gotta wait another few weeks.
mike:D

Only a few weeks? Does it involve rebreathers? Or was that a mistype and meant to say month/year?:p Any hints or clues as to what it will be?

Matt

michael hearn
02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Only a few weeks? Does it involve rebreathers? Or was that a mistype and meant to say month/year?:p Any hints or clues as to what it will be?

Matt
it is rebreather related but not a breather case. somthing much better, dont want to say to much and put my foot in my mouth and jump the gun.its an exciting project and as soon as im sure its working i will post it here.
mike ;)

Zero
02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
1 week down but no ones counting. Hows the project going?

Matt

michael hearn
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
1 week down but no ones counting. Hows the project going?

Matt

in the machine shop as we speak.
:D