PDA

View Full Version : Sony HVR-V1U Housing

lars2923
09-05-2009, 01:45 PM
What vendors today offer a housing for the Sony HVR-V1U?

The vendor must offer an external 4+" monitor.
All supporting equipment to mount lighting.
Lighting.
Easy to operate manual controls.

Thanx,

The Publisher
09-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Amphibico (http://www.amphibico.com/amphibico/product.jsp?sid=20937700911822736143557076313&ctid=1000001&pdid=1000211)

Gates (http://www.gateshousings.com/FX7.html)

lars2923
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Amphibico (http://www.amphibico.com/amphibico/product.jsp?sid=20937700911822736143557076313&ctid=1000001&pdid=1000211)

Gates (http://www.gateshousings.com/FX7.html)

Thank you for the quick reply. It seems it comes down to the
two vendors you described.
I'm still in the planning to buy stages.
I can't afford what I really want (RED) so what I am considering is
the best as true to HD if not HD I can get Video camera, housing,
lights for no more than $20K.

Part of my delay is I feel as soon as I buy something, a month or two
later, something better will come out.

I'm beginning to wonder if a larger housing would be beneficial to
creating stability as far as camera movement goes. So the camera
size is not a concern. I love macro and that is a must.

You mentioned in one of your previous post, software you use
to take the shake out of the video. You had just posted a video of
a trip in Indonesia and your shot from the moving boat was steady.
Remember the name of that software?

Thank you for the time.

Regards,

The Publisher
09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Lars,

Smoothcam is one of the filters in Apple's Final Cut Pro. It to some degree stabilizes a shot by centering what is supposed to be center, so now the outside frame shakes around. To remove that, it digitally zooms in which causes a bit of a loss of resolution depending on how much it zooms in.

I am forgetting the Red and setting my sights on the vaporware Scarlet. At 3k and 120 frames per second, slo-mo would be good, and if one captured footage is shot optically zoomed out 50%, one could step on it harder in Smoothcam, so that if it digitally zoomed in 50%, you would in theory still be left with 1.5k resolution.

My housing is large, but I am not sure about the stability part....there is far more surface area to get pushed around by current and surge, I think one is better off perfecting technique....and the airlines are killing me on baggage.

lars2923
09-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Lars,

Smoothcam is one of the filters in Apple's Final Cut Pro. It to some degree stabilizes a shot by centering what is supposed to be center, so now the outside frame shakes around. To remove that, it digitally zooms in which causes a bit of a loss of resolution depending on how much it zooms in.

I am forgetting the Red and setting my sights on the vaporware Scarlet. At 3k and 120 frames per second, slo-mo would be good, and if one captured footage is shot optically zoomed out 50%, one could step on it harder in Smoothcam, so that if it digitally zoomed in 50%, you would in theory still be left with 1.5k resolution.

My housing is large, but I am not sure about the stability part....there is far more surface area to get pushed around by current and surge, I think one is better off perfecting technique....and the airlines are killing me on baggage.

I couldn't agree more on the technique. I was thinking that it being heavier,
vs bigger and that could be a benefit to hold steadier... I don't know. I know
my housing is easily swayed by the current and sometimes one can't hold it
steady enough. Vaporware scarlet huh.. I'l lcheck into that. I like the 3K, 5K
would be better $$ but we give and take.

I'm sure glad I don't travel like I use to. I'm sure you've learned the ins and
outs for each airline and move through relatively hassle free, but the $$ for
this and $$ for that.. Ahhh!

The Publisher
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
The interesting thing about 5k, is that is Imax resolution, and if our pipe dreams came true (for some they do), then by all means shoot 5k. Scarlet is roadmapped to pan out at 25k, or 5 times Imax resolution. I like the 3k price though, about $3500, so they claim. lol

Since most of us set our videocams to be slightly negatively buoyant, I am not sure how extra mass would help. I think it would be cheaper to improve my technique, and shoot more footage, sooner or later I accidently come up with something usable. ;)

lars2923
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
The interesting thing about 5k, is that is Imax resolution, and if our pipe dreams came true (for some they do), then by all means shoot 5k. Scarlet is roadmapped to pan out at 25k, or 5 times Imax resolution. I like the 3k price though, about $3500, so they claim. lol

Since most of us set our videocams to be slightly negatively buoyant, I am not sure how extra mass would help. I think it would be cheaper to improve my technique, and shoot more footage, sooner or later I accidently come up with something usable. ;)

Yes, shoot more. When I feel I've shot enough, I shoot some more. At least a
count of three one thousand -or- more. $3500 is in line with the cost of
other HD brands.. Fly-by-wire is a complete kit for around $3700. Now the housing.
Now, who has the housing for Scarlet?

Thanx,

The Publisher
09-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Amphibico will as soon as the vaporware materializes.