PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new to Diving

Natedogg
09-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi My name is Nate and I have just taken my intro to scuba course and loved it so much I just signed up to take my open water course. Heading out on the weekend to buy some gear. Not sure what to buy for a regulator. I like the Aeris AT400 ION with DVT. Is this good? I'm lost on fins though.....I'm told theres fins for cold water,fins for warm water, Fins for snorkleing and fins for diving, Can anyone help ? Thanx and I look forward to learning and Hopefully asking lots of questions on here. Thanx, Nate

The Publisher
09-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Nate,

Pretty much all the major brands of regulators perform quite well.

As to fins, the difference between warm water and cold water fins are the foot pockets of cold water fins are larger to accommodate heavier wetsuit or drysuit boots.

For tropical diving, it depends on what style you like. Some wear no boots and so get a full foot pocket fin. Most do not prefer that, and instead opt for a strap fin and a thin wetsuit boot to protect the foot against scrapes and spines.

Fit of the fin is more important. Don't get suckered into the hype about split fins. Splitting a fin reduces the surface area of thrust as a tradeoff for making it easier to move the fin against resistance. You can accomplish the same thing by reducing the fin surface area, reducing the stiffness, or both. Of course, that reality does not sell new fins, hence the hype. But they do tradeoff making it easier to fin in return for reduced propulsion via the split.

Get your local dive store to let you try a bunch if different regulators, but in return, try to buy the reg from the company that went through the expense of letting you try them first. Also, be careful, some dive stores push items with higher margins rather than what may best suit you, but such stores are the exception.

Always try to check stuff out in the pool first before you buy. Always strive to try multiple offerings so you have a frame of comparison, and most importantly, spend more of your energy having fun than worrying over which particular quality product is the latest/coolest I'm the black knight and the black knight always wins....of course ignore my profile picture as I do not take my own advice, lol.

lottie
09-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi Nate,
Welcome to the boards and most importantly - welcome to the world of scuba diving! :)

As the publisher said (and other people have said on here as well in other threads), try and check stuff out before you part with your cash - You'll need all your scuba bucks for doing the diving and enjoying the scenery down there.

We're also a helpful bunch on here - so if you have any questions, large or small. Feel free to ask, there is a wealth of information on here.

Good luck with your OW and dive safe and often.