PDA

View Full Version : hello from kuwait!

klyph76
07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
hi,
i'm a meteorologist who's recently moved from the U.S. to Kuwait. My fiancee and I were open water certified a little over a year ago and we're both really excited to get back in the water. On our agenda, we plan to dive in the Persian Gulf, the Red Sea and the Seychelles. We're getting married this September in Jamaica and plan on taking advantage of the reefs there as well...though i hear those reefs are some of the most neglected in the
world :(

if anyone has any good dive site recommendations, anywhere from the red sea to the western pacific, please share :)

The Publisher
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the SMN Community!

I haven't been to the Middle East, but as far as the Red Sea is concerned, I hear Sharm is massively overcrowded, whereas Dahab is not.

klyph76
07-27-2009, 01:52 AM
thanks! that's actually very helpful considering we were looking into a trip to sharm el sheikh.

The Publisher
07-27-2009, 07:19 AM
All I read is that the diving in Sharm is great, but there will be 20 other jumbo dive boats all packed in the same area....

Egyptian divers tell me to go to Dahab for diving as good with far less crowds.

acelockco
07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
hi,
in Jamaica and plan on taking advantage of the reefs there as well...though i hear those reefs are some of the most neglected in the
world :(

You have heard correctly. The reef gets fishing nets and lobster pots dragged across it daily. There are very very few large fish. My best suggestion is to try a night dive while there, it seems that there are many more things to see there at night vs day. My guess is that the fishermen don't go out at night, so those species have a better chance.

klyph76
07-30-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks ace :)

i've never night dived before but i think i'll take your advice!

cheers