PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo or hyperventilation?

new_2_scuba
01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
My daughter and I got certified in August of 06 and have about 10 dives. She seems to get attacks of vertigo very often when we dive and I'm wondering if maybe she gets nervous and hyperventalates which causes the "upside down" feeling? Anyone else ever have this happen to them :confused:

Zero
01-31-2007, 05:48 AM
What is she nervous about? Is it not seeing the bottom from the top when you get in off the back of a boat? Sharks? Unknown things? Ask her if she is nervous and then reassure her its ok and then take things slowly. It may be something very minor. It could just be time in the water.

Matt

Sarah
01-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Pay the peanuts and join Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/), then call them and explain all your daughters issues.

See if they can get some help.

What an awesome thing you dive with your daughter! If you can get her issue resolded, what a tremendous bonding experience you get to have! :)

drdiver
01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Vertigo can be caused by lots of things.
May just be that cold California water hitting her eardrum. Does she have the vertigo in the pool as well? Here's a link that provides more information Vertigo (http://www.scuba-doc.com/vert.htm)

butch103
01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
May just be that cold California water hitting her eardrum. Does she have the vertigo in the pool as well? Here's a link that provides more information Vertigo (http://www.scuba-doc.com/vert.htm)

I echo the above opinion. This is most likely the cause. Especially if she moves her head back and forth to quickly.

seasnake
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Here's another thought, for what it's worth. Everything you do with scuba, take it slow! Getting ready, entries, descents, etc. Make a good thorough plan before getting in the water. I see many divers, new and seasoned, get out of breath and hyperventilate because of rushing to keep up with everyone else. They don't want to "hold anybody up". And personally, I have found overexertion to be one of the main causes of diver panic underwater. Having a good dive plan discussion before suiting up also helps to relieve a lot of anxiety.

new_2_scuba
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM

I had not thought of the cold water hitting her eardrums. How would you solve something like that??? She does not have the issue in a pool and when we snorkle she doesnt get the vertigo either (even in 50ish degree water with no hood).

new_2_scuba
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Here's another thought, for what it's worth. Everything you do with scuba, take it slow! Getting ready, entries, descents, etc. Make a good thorough plan before getting in the water. I see many divers, new and seasoned, get out of breath and hyperventilate because of rushing to keep up with everyone else. They don't want to "hold anybody up". And personally, I have found overexertion to be one of the main causes of diver panic underwater. Having a good dive plan discussion before suiting up also helps to relieve a lot of anxiety.

We always take it slow. Being new divers we check and double/triple check everything and usually wait to be last to enter the water on a boat dive so we dont get in anyone's way. This last time I could tell she was nervous so we took it really slow and I even said we didnt have to submurge, we could just float in our BC for a bit. (She is 23 by the way, not a little kid).

drdiver
01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
If she doesn't get it in a pool, does she associate this with trying to see the bottom? When I am diving in very high vis water (not the case in Ca I know, but still) I still sometimes feel a little vertigo because I feel I am very high up in the air when I get in and I see the bottom very far away. (I have a great fear of heights) This passes as I descend. It may be that more diving under a variety of conditions may overcome the problem.

rustydiver
02-01-2007, 06:15 AM
I Have Read Good Things About Pro Doc Vented Earplugs For Cold Water Have Not Used Them My Self. I Think They Are Made In Cali. Good Luck Please Share With Us When You Find The Solution