PDA

View Full Version : Been out of the water for a few years and need some feedback on gear

pafindr
06-06-2009, 04:03 AM
Hello all
As the title says it's been a while since I've been in the water and am slowly putting some gear together.
I could use some help with some advise but I have to watch my pennies. I'm not looking at going cheap but if I can save some money it would be great.
The last reg I had was the Dacor Pacer XP w/ a Pacer XP octo and I had a Dacor Digital Console that I won at DEMA in 1995

I've been looking at the Zeagle 30 sale and I want to take advantage of it.
What do you guy's think of the Zeagle ZX 50D Regulator w/ an Envoy Octopus.
And I was looking at either the Mares Puck 3 console or the Oceanic Veo 250.

Not sure about these and would like any input you are willing to provide.

I want to do mostly recreational dives but will probably do a few tech dives later on.

Thanks for your help

The Publisher
06-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Zeagle stuff is all good but you would be surprised on the deals you can get for great dive gear off E-Bay.

pafindr
06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Publisher
Do you know, off hand, any Ebay sellers that you would recommend?

The Publisher
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
No seller in particular, I tend to buy based upon product, not seller. If it is for a regulator, I would automatically presume to have it rebuilt.

I have bought great regs for $75 on E-bay, Just look at their "feedback" to check on their reliability, and I always pay with Paypal, and I NEVER fund Paypal via bank transfer, I always use a credit card as the Paypal funding source.

acelockco
06-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I have had excellent luck on Ebay. You can always find new gear there as well as used, but remember with new gear it might not have the factory warranty due to it being sold by an unauthorized retailer.

Another great way to find gear deals is during the Spring Garage Sale or whatever they call it at your local dive shop, or even in the used gear section there. For instance, I was able to purchase a Dive Rite Trans-Pak and a set of wings for it in really nice condition for $60!! I also bought two sets of used regulators w/ octos and dive computers off of ebay and I am still using them today (5 years later). I bought a dry suit off ebay and a bunch of wet suits as well. Just be sure to read the description very carefully and ask the seller questions. I usually request them to send me bigger photos with close ups.

If you find an item you like on ebay, you could always post it here and we will give you our opinion.

Oh, wait a second, you live in Florida....check out Craigs List as well, I have found that there is a ton of dive equipment on Florida's Craigs List. You do have to watch out for some folks trying to get too much for old junk there though. AND, I would be really careful buying used cylinders.

pafindr
06-07-2009, 05:47 PM
AND, I would be really careful buying used cylinders.

That's really true.
I went to check out a used tank and asked the guy to take off the valve so I could do a visual on it. He really didn't want to but I finally talked him into it. I thought I was looking at the moon with all the pits and craters that were in that tank :D

hbh2oguard
06-09-2009, 04:05 AM
CL all the way. I spent $45 on a seaquest balance that was in really good condition and it came with a knife attached to it that retails for more than $45. I like it way more than the bc I spend $500 on from a dive shop. I've also got tanks off of there but get them to write down that if it fails hydro or viz you get your money back.