PDA

View Full Version : Horrible News-Batangas Bangka Ferry Sinks, 12 dead

The Publisher
05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3572890525_2d8a2d9904.jpg?v=0

May 25th, 2009

BATANGAS CITY–Twelve people died while more than 60 passengers were rescued when a bangka ferry sank off Batangas island Saturday morning, a Coast Guard official said.

Batangas Coast Guard station chief Lt. Commander Troy Cornelio said the M/B Commando Sais left Batangas port at around 11:00 am bound for White Beach in Puerto Galera in Mindoro island.

The ferry Commando 6, a large motorized outrigger, capsized when one of its outriggers broke midway on its journey from Batangas city to Puerto Galera on Mindoro Island, about 85 miles (135 kilometers) south of Manila, regional police Chief Superintendent Luisito Palmera said.

Cornelio said the outrigger boat, with a passenger seating capacity of 60, was pummeled by strong waves and wind, ripping its wooden rig and sinking it before noon near Balahibong Puti Point off Batangas.

Cornelio immediately sent two Batangas Coast Guard rescue vessels, which joined private bangka operators in Puerto Galera in the rescue operation.

Coast Guard personnel brought the remains of those who drowned to Puerto Galera while the survivors were brought to the town’s hospital for medical treatment.

A Filipino woman traveling with them, who did not identify herself, said by telephone from Puerto Galera that it was a sunny day but that big waves flipped the boat over, breaking its outrigger.

"It happened so fast. I could not even remember how I got out," she said, adding that the boat was still floating belly up.

Coast guard Chief of Staff Capt. Enrico Evangelista stated the boat was meant to carry only 42 passengers. He said the coast guard will investigate.

As a result, Philippine authorities suspended the license of a Philippine the shipping line whose motorized skipper capsized and killed 12 passengers last Saturday.

7 skippers of Ilagan Shipping Lines, which ferry passengers from Batangas to Puerto Galera, were effectively suspended.

The authorities suspect overloading as the main cause of the capsize, and maintained that they will not lift the operation suspension until the probe is concluded.

Reports are also coming in that two bangka ferry boats that passed by the overturned Commando 6 are also under investigation for passing by the stricken Commando 6 and refusing to offer assistance even as their passengers took photos and videos of the overturned bangka.

Here is a video with exclusive footage by GMA of the rescue and recovery.

http://www.gmanews.tv/video/42357

See an interview in Tagalog of the boat captain being grilled afterwards: http://www.gmanews.tv/video/42419

The Publisher
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
And to think I have been on the Commando bangka lines on a few of my 6 round trips to Puerto Galera.

Whilst motoring I have often wondered if people would have the wherewithal to slide to the opposite side of a bangka if it lost one of its supporting outriggers.

Puerto Galera is probably the most popular scuba tourist destination in all the Philippines.