PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Shark video

BeckyKagan
05-27-2009, 04:21 AM
A few months ago I was part of a shoot diving off the West End of Grand Bahamas in a place called Tiger Beach. We shot video of 12-14 foot Tiger sharks, and Lemon sharks using no cages, no chainmail -- only cameras to document them! They were super curious animals coming right up to the dome port of the cameras and pushing their noses ever so slightly against them to feel it out! They are very wary, yet will come extremely close to divers to get a better look.

http://www.liquidproductionsllc.com/index.php/videos

Papa Bear
05-27-2009, 04:50 AM
I love diving with them! Here is one of a couple videos from Fiji's Pacific Harbor on Viti Lavue! Howard Hall called it "The Best Shark Dive in the World" and he isn't far from wrong! http://twotankedproductions.com/videoclips/tigersharkvideo.html

The Publisher
05-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Wait a minute, wouldn't their noses scratch a plexiglas dome port?! Inquiring minds want to know! lol

Papa Bear
05-27-2009, 05:11 AM
A tooth sure wood! The skin would depend on how hard it hits it! :mad2::D

The Publisher
05-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Becky,

What outfit did you dive with? The water clarity is amazing, and the fact that the sharks get in so close sure helps with color rendition.

So the tiger or other sharks never acted aggressive?

BeckyKagan
05-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Dave,

This was the Dolphin Dream, Jim Abernathy also runs a trip out there. We actually had horrible weather and the vis wasn't as clear as it normally is...i'm glad it looks good on the video!

As for the dome port, i got a few harder hits with the lemons on the surface and had no issues with any scratches. Like Papa Bear said if they bit the port i'm positive it would scratch but the bumps did nothing. To me it would have been worth the $500 to replace the plexyglass =) I did have a few issues of getting hit hard on the surface and the cameara would go in and out of focus real quick. Now i shoot manual focus so there is no reason for it to go in and out of focus when the camera is hit hard. Maybe had to do with the lanc ? Anyways i've done the fiji dives and other shark dives around the world and this was imho my favorite!

The Publisher
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I just sent off my dome port to Amphibico to replace the plexiglas..they has some mark on it, which for sure isn't from bumping coral. I previously had not know the front cover itself was replaceable.

It is odd how I never see sharks diving in the Philippines....we're going to try to change that with something in Malapascua where pelagic thresher sharks come to be cleaned, but they do not get close in such clear water like your shot.

That is always the catch-22 of shooting and diving-if the water is crystal clear, there is not enough food in the water to support filter feeders, whereas if there is, then like the Philippines, the density of soft corals and other filter feeds is bewildering.

That sure would rock to get such tiger shark footage, you must have been stoked!

BeckyKagan
05-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Dave,

Were they just replacing the whole lens or just the plexyglass outer dome because you can do that yourself at least I do, they sent me the tool and everything.

I know what you mean, when I first dove Fiji I thought the vis would be better but the life is incredible due to the nutrience, hope to make it to where you are someday! Any good deals, we have a honeymoon to plan in the next 4 months =)

The Publisher
05-29-2009, 04:14 AM
Just the plexiglas. Until I know how it is captured in place, I am not comfortable with risking it till I know how. I am sure that once I see it done, I would be like, oh, man, that's easy! But to go out to a resort to shoot a promo video, and not deliver, they might expect me to pay to return on another time, and I don't bring 2 setups.