PDA

View Full Version : Are you still diving?

lottie
05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
We all know that the economy isn't exactly at it's best at the moment. So I thought i'd ask the question...
- Are you still planning/taking scuba diving vacations or going scuba diving in your local area?

greenturtle
05-22-2009, 03:33 AM
Just came back from one :D

rubber chicken
05-22-2009, 03:34 AM
As the Global Financial Crisis has contributed to my being unemployed, I'm diving more!:D

lottie
05-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Rubber Chicken - So sorry to hear that you're unemployed. Good luck with the job search I'm sure you'll find something soon. Enjoy all the diving that you can before you get that job!

The Publisher
05-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I am diving almost the same, but then again, I get to stay at resorts totally free :)

lottie
05-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I am diving almost the same, but then again, I get to stay at resorts totally free :)

Uh...maybe thats one of the perks of being a publisher eh??? ;o)

Dsix36
05-24-2009, 12:43 AM
I dive almost exclusively in my local area. Once in awhile I might venture to the keys or up north as far as Jupiter for the day. This Sept. I am booked on a 1 week liveaboard (first time for me) and first real scheduled vacation. I must admit that the final payment being due in a couple of weeks was looking very bad until my tax return came in.

The only time that I have an expensive vacation is when the econoy goes to crap and my overtime is gone.

Thing are starting to look a bit better in the last couple of weeks though.

The Publisher
05-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Well, Lottie, you get to dive tropical ANY time, so your perk trumps mine!

lottie
05-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Lol@Publisher - wish that was true. Haven't been diving for a good number of months due to various stuff happening in my life...... plus the water's probably been colder than usual! ;o)

The Publisher
05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
What, like 77 degrees instead of 80?! lol ;)

In Southern California, in the winter, the water gets down to 54 degrees at the outer islands, and anyone but a sadomasochist dives a drysuit.

Of course, Chantelle the ice diving Queen would say 54 degree F water temperature is like a jacuzzi spa!

greenturtle
05-24-2009, 11:41 PM
IThis Sept. I am booked on a 1 week liveaboard (first time for me) and first real scheduled vacation.

Enjoy! Hope you don't get any spoil sport onboard, that would really be a damper and you'll be with that person for the next few days!

I enjoy the feeling of of the "world spinning around you" like you're still onboard when you get back to land...... :)

Okeanos
05-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Went to Lanzarote in November and Egypt in March.

Booked Egypt in June, Lanzarote in November (I'm running the 1/2 marathon again) and Thailand in Feb.

I've completed about 150 dives so far this year, 2 today, 1 yesterday, 2 last Thursday, 3 Wednesday.

I dive in the UK for work (Scallop Diver & teaching), when I'm not diving I'm renovating my girlfriends house, she then pays for the holidays instead of paying a builder to do the work :)

acelockco
05-26-2009, 12:20 AM

No more like her new hubby doesn't dive, so Lottie doesn't get to go diving as much any longer. :violin:

lottie
05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Went to Lanzarote in November and Egypt in March.

Booked Egypt in June, Lanzarote in November (I'm running the 1/2 marathon again) and Thailand in Feb.

I've completed about 150 dives so far this year, 2 today, 1 yesterday, 2 last Thursday, 3 Wednesday.

I dive in the UK for work (Scallop Diver & teaching), when I'm not diving I'm renovating my girlfriends house, she then pays for the holidays instead of paying a builder to do the work :)

Sorry, but 8 doesn't equate to 150!! :D:D (sorry - just me being sarcastic!)

You've got some good holidays booked up - nice to see that the economy isn't dampening anyone's diving.. :)

lottie
05-26-2009, 04:32 PM
No more like her new hubby doesn't dive, so Lottie doesn't get to go diving as much any longer. :violin:

Hey Ace - To be truthful, haven't been diving since July....had too much to do and so little time to do it !!
I...will...get..back...into the water :mad2:

Papa Bear
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Just got back from the Yucatan for 8 days and good quality diving! http://twotankedproductions.com/traveltripinformation/cenotesoftheyucatan.html I dive about 100 plus or minus per year now that I am slowing down! Next trip in August to Roatan and back to Fiji in November. Will do some diving in between and you never know what will pop up? Did get an offer for Belize this summer? If my skin dries too much, my gills start to bleed!

hbh2oguard
05-29-2009, 02:02 AM

In Southern California, in the winter, the water gets down to 54 degrees at the outer islands, and anyone but a sadomasochist dives a drysuit.

Oh yea 54 sounds GREAT!!!! My last 20 dives have been in the mid-high 40's in a wet suit and I love it!!! Good old central CA upwelling in action. But I've been diving way more this year, already have 50 dives so far but I haven't had to pay for anything and some of them I've actually got paid....amamzing! But really 50's is a wetsuit is nice, I will admit that I started to get cold after 40 mins in 44 deg water but it was the best dive I've had in a long time.

bubbles
05-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Absolutely - try keeping me out of the water!!! Just returned from 2 weeks in Jamaica - still suffering from the jet lag LOL. We are booked for a week in Marsa Alam in September and have already booked for Tobago in February.

Must get around to visiting your island, Lottie. Mind you, I hope it isn't as wet as Jamaica was!!!

Okeanos
06-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry, but 8 doesn't equate to 150!! :D:D (sorry - just me being sarcastic!)

You've got some good holidays booked up - nice to see that the economy isn't dampening anyone's diving.. :)
Sarcy indeed, another 2 today, yesterday & monday, only 1 on Sunday and didn't dive on Saturday.

chokdeekap
08-09-2009, 04:55 PM
We all know that the economy isn't exactly at it's best at the moment. So I thought i'd ask the question...
- Are you still planning/taking scuba diving vacations or going scuba diving in your local area?

I am Diving every weekend apart from when I have a little drinking session or a round of golf ,I am off to Thailand in November and I will booking soon for 3 week trip to the Philippines in February or March not decided were to go yet I dived in Cebu about 15 years ago but i want to try out a new spot ,so I am looking for any suggestions

chokdeekap
08-09-2009, 05:07 PM

I am Diving every weekend apart from when I have a little drinking session or a round of golf ,I am off to Thailand in November and I will booking soon for 3 week trip to the Philippines in February or March not decided were to go yet I dived in Cebu about 15 years ago but i want to try out a new spot ,so I am looking for any suggestions

NITROHOWARD
10-05-2010, 01:42 AM
:)me and a ex girl friend went to the blue hole in santa rosa new mexico. and train at the local colege a couple times a month. as soon as this racing thing is over i can do some more diving. got too many toys and not enough money,

elisacamplin
10-16-2010, 09:37 AM
yes i am still diving.
i like diving and swimming but only when a good company.

Okeanos
10-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Dived a wreck in 40m on Thursday, 2 working dives on Friday (3.5hrs UW in total) and a dive on a very nice reef down to 32m today.

lottie
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Dived a wreck in 40m on Thursday, 2 working dives on Friday (3.5hrs UW in total) and a dive on a very nice reef down to 32m today.

I'm envious of you Okeanos :)

Glad the current climate hasn't dampened (no pun intended) anyone's diving :D

Okeanos
10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm envious of you Okeanos :)

Glad the current climate hasn't dampened (no pun intended) anyone's diving :D
It can't dampen me, it's all I do. Tried to explore a new (to me) shore dive today, 1st one was a little too rough for the entry the other didn't smell right! I'm sure it's not normally like that.

Working dives tomorrow.

lars2923
10-20-2010, 10:54 PM
I was Certifiable back in 1977 and have been diving ever since. Started in the NE (NY), First OW was in New Hampshire in December.... Brrr but I loved it.
I then hit the springs in Fla and dove Ginnie Springs back in the 70's. For the next 3 years I would dive into anything, pond, creeks, rivers, lakes, oceans.
Now I do things like make artificial reefs.. wheeeee...
My site is divetalking.com and the reef site is tisiri.org

I'm an Instructor now and I am still in love with diving. The best times are when my students receive their certification and I get to dive with them on their first dive as an OW diver!

L

acelockco
10-21-2010, 05:40 AM
I was Certifiable back in 1977

And they let you out?

just kidding.....lol

myscubastory
02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
As an instructor - i did see the international scuba divining industry get hit when the financial crash happened. But now people seem to be traveling just as much OK maybe not spending as much tho

Okeanos
02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I've only got 1 holiday booked this year, I normally 2 or 3. Doing loads of diving at home.

Just applied for premission to dive 2 historic protected dive sites to add to the hundreds of local sites I have already dived.

wangyin
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Good luck using the work lookup I'm particular you'll locate a thing soon. take satisfaction in each of the diving that you simply can earlier for you have that job!

Okeanos
07-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I've only got 1 holiday booked this year, I normally 2 or 3. Doing loads of diving at home.

Just applied for premission to dive 2 historic protected dive sites to add to the hundreds of local sites I have already dived.

I now have the required permission to dive these sites. The weather hasn't been suitable but I am forever hopeful.

samtihen
08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I now have the required permission to dive these sites. The weather hasn't been suitable but I am forever hopeful.

What sites are they?

deragoku
05-04-2012, 01:27 AM
To Thailand in November, I will soon be booking the trip of three weeks in February or March, the Philippines has not decided to go, but I'm in Cebu diving about 15 years ago.

Charon
05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Local to moderate driving distances this summer. Going to visit my daughter in Nome, AK so that will eat any trip money. Hope to travel someplace tropical this winter or next spring/summer. Summers I usually volunteer to do milfoil remediation diving on nearby lakes. That keeps me busy most every weekend. The nice thing about that is they provide the boats and air.

Papa Bear
11-22-2012, 06:15 AM
My Diving has been cut to about 25% of the 4 years prior! Every ones money is going into their gas tank, food, and utilities! Kalifornia hates small business and Cities like Luguna Beach are running divers off, it is easier to take classes to Catalina than Luguna! This wont change for a long time, the new normal, thats what I have heard?

The Publisher
11-23-2012, 06:02 AM
I remember when the Lifeguard Nazi's of Laguna Beach were trying to give out citations to divers who didn't have snorkels!