PDA

View Full Version : Diver Drowns off Anacapa, Southern California

Sarah
04-20-2009, 07:14 AM
April 12th, 2009

A Santa Barbara man drowned Friday while scuba diving off Anacapa Island, authorities said.

John G. Koenig, 65, was diving around 1 p.m. on the north side near Cathedral Cove when other divers found one of his fins. A frantic search followed, and Koenig was found on the ocean floor, about 27 feet deep, said Craig Stevens, senior deputy Ventura County medical examiner.

“The regulator was out of his mouth and he was lying there unresponsive,” Stevens said.

Divers removed his weight belt and brought Koenig back to a recreational dive boat where efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful, Stevens said. CPR was performed for nearly 30 minutes, he said.

An autopsy Saturday morning showed Koenig drowned, Stevens said. The autopsy showed evidence of cardiac disease, but no clear sign he suffered a heart attack. There was no other trauma found on his body, Stevens said.

Koenig was by himself but among a group diving off the recreational dive boat Spectre out of Ventura Harbor, Stevens said.

Koenig, described as about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds, started scuba diving in January, Stevens said. It was his 14th dive.

source-VCS

acelockco
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
That is some really sad news. I dove off the Spectre a few years back, and I must say they are a first class operation that follow strict safety precautions. I am sure as time progresses, we will find out what the actual cause of death was. On a positive note, I guess the best way to go is doing something you love. My condolences to Mr. Koenig's friends and family.

Dsix36
04-21-2009, 01:09 AM
It is always very sad to hear about another loss of life while diving. My best to his friends and family.

The Publisher
04-21-2009, 02:43 AM
I too have been on the Spectre, nice boat, good captain and crew.

It is sad when anyone is cut short before their time, especially with a sport so safe as diving, so remember to always tell your friends and family how much you love them.