PDA

View Full Version : advice for buying my gear

benfuqua
03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I have just signed up for dive training, and as I am studying my materials I am getting ready to start buying my gear. So does anyone have any recommendations of favorites or anything I should stay away from. I have to admit it all gets a little overwhelming.

hbh2oguard
03-11-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm assuming you mean skin gear(mask, snorkel, booties, fins) so get what fits well and is comfortable. Get it from the dive shop and they should help you out. A mask should be able to fit without the strap when you suck in with your nose. Get a pretty basic snorkel with a large bore! Booties just make sure they fit well. Fins total up to you. I like split fins because I don't feel them but there is a downside that you don't get as much "power" or what ever you want to call it when diving in currents. Hope this help.

The Publisher
03-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Welcome to the SMN Community.

If you are getting trained at a dive shop, ask them to try out in the pool a bunch of different masks. Give them at least 30 minutes each in the pool if you can.....same goes for fins. Some just really rub my feet the wrong way.

padi613
03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi Benfuqua
Congrats on starting an enjoyable passtime. I have one piece of advise.
Do not let the dive store sell you dive gear that is not suitable for the diving you intend to do. Get trained ,and get the basic equipment you need now.
I'm sure that many a novice diver spends more that is ness.I went down a similar road when I first learned to dive, spent an enormous ammount of money only to find after a few months later that I had bought at the recommendation of the dive store a lot of gear that was unsuitable for the diving that I was doing at that time.Anyway happy hunting for your scuba gear. Les

acelockco
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the SMN Community.

If you are getting trained at a dive shop, ask them to try out in the pool a bunch of different masks. Give them at least 30 minutes each in the pool if you can.....same goes for fins. Some just really rub my feet the wrong way.

Really good! I have issues with my mask and even more issues with my fins. The thing is, I don't notice that they are hurting me until after I have been diving with them for about 20 minutes or so. Great idea on trying them out for a half hour or so just to make sure.

chokdeekap
08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Really good! I have issues with my mask and even more issues with my fins. The thing is, I don't notice that they are hurting me until after I have been diving with them for about 20 minutes or so. Great idea on trying them out for a half hour or so just to make sure.

this is why i use split fins,.. ok they are no good for surface finning but underwater i think they are great

acelockco
08-03-2009, 05:25 AM
this is why i use split fins,.. ok they are no good for surface finning but underwater i think they are great

Oh, they hurt my feet because they were not wide enough (I have a wide foot and huge dry suit boots).

it_mike
08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Do not let the dive store sell you dive gear that is not suitable for the diving you intend to do. Get trained ,and get the basic equipment you need now.

Les,

If he does that, how are we supposed to get nearly new equipment cheap? :rolleyes: Our number one source of gear is newbies!

<END HIJACK>

The Publisher
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Lol...it is like when I get my mountain bikes or car stereos stolen-UPGRADE TIME! See, there IS a silver lining! ;)

greenturtle
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Just get the basics - mask and fins.

Snorkel - I don't even strap them to my mask when diving now (you won't need a snorkel when diving ;)

Wetsuit, BC, Reg - took me a long while before investing in these as wasn't sure if I would take up the sport regularly. Have seen too many people gave up the sport for one reason or another.

Happy diving!

lars2923
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I have just signed up for dive training, and as I am studying my materials I am getting ready to start buying my gear. So does anyone have any recommendations of favorites or anything I should stay away from. I have to admit it all gets a little overwhelming.

How much money do you have? :-)

Rent! Keep renting.
To start though, mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt (get the pouch type with
zipper, much more comfortable to wear) and a few pounds of weight, oh say
12 lbs (like 2x4lb, 2x2lb) for example.

Visit all your local shops and see what they offer and rent when you go
diving. When you find one you like, there ya go.

Here is what I use to give you something:
Atomic B2 DIN First Stage
Atomic B2 second stage
Atomic Z2 Octo
Zeagle 911 BCD
DUI 450 Dry Suit, various sizes of wetsuits (ie. 3mm, 5mm, 7mm)
OMS Slipsteam fins, Mares Volo (Don't really like the volo, not enough umphff)
95 LP Steel DIN

This stuff you can't see on me (except the lift bag/flares).
They're all tucked away:
> Safety Sausage (for ocean diving)
> Marine Whistle
> Stobe (Right SHoulder)
> Small hand held lights (x2)
> two 10watt Dive-Rite hand held lights
> 100lb lift bag
> 3 flares
> dye markers
> 10 foot buddy line
> glo sticks
> Water proof paper
> Computer (on my wrist)
> Compass (in my pocket) (I only pull it out after getting lost! :-))
> Analog pressure guage (you can see)

It sounds like a lot in qty, but it's really compact. These are some of the
things you can look forward to purchasing in the future.

Enjoy your class.. Good luck on your purchases.

cowleyp
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi New Diver and great to have you on board.
You can buy the "basic kit" first, mask-fins-slorkel first.
The mask is arguably the single most important piece of kit you will buy, most of us end up with more than one as a result of mistaken purchaces or equipment updates. Use the "place it on your face and inhale via your nose" technique to ensure good seal, ensure easy acess to nose for aiding equalising, also check the hard parts of the frame are not too close to or touching your nose or nasal bridge. Avoid gimicks like valves and tints.
Snorkel is important buy a lower cost unit with a clearing valve on bottom bend, top valve is not as useful.
Green Turtle, your experience is typical and often repeated but it is an instructors nightmare. After over 1000 recreational dives I always use a snorkel, I have needed it twice and on one occation it probably saved my and my buddies life.
Fins, hmmm try as many on at school as you can to compare, all better brand names are OK, again avoid gimicks like splits and look at stiffer options as they allow better control but do require more effort. Dive-Rite offer great fins with steel spring straps as standard, in my opinion best all round value
Booties, sure buy a nice high 3mm ankle pair with zip, colours make kit easy to find on the boat floor.

acelockco
08-26-2009, 09:56 PM
buy a nice high 3mm ankle pair with zip, colours make kit easy to find on the boat floor.

That would really depend on the temperature of the water you are diving in. In the tropical regions, many divers use full foot fins without booties. In cooler waters the 3mm booties and fins with straps work best. Now if you are diving in the cold waters, your feet will freeze off using 3mm booties, you will need 6mm+ booties ....or a drysuit with dryboots.

Munch
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Oceanic is reasonably priced and reliable, the bonus is the customer service, they pretty much replace anything defective for free. when your dve computer needs servicing or your regs or BCD etc you pay for the service and any replacement parts are free! However comfort and what feels right for you is a massive consideration as well. Enjoy your diving!!

sacscubainstr
10-14-2009, 04:18 PM

So how did or has the certification gone? Just thought it would be interesting to find out.

Papa Bear
10-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Use your friends gear, Rent, try the instructors, but understand that dive gear has come a long way? Do you need AC or a Radio in your car? No, but it makes the driving experience a better one! The gear you start with will not be the gear you end up with! Unless you ask a lot of questions and try a lot of gear before you buy!

Mask: It has to fit, brand is not important, but quality is!

Fines: Stay away from Split fins it is simple physics, trust me!

Booties: Depends on surface you will be diving on? Beach, Boat, or Rocky shore will dictate the soles you will need!

Wet Suit: If you dive cold water this will be your most important purchase! If you are uncomfortable you will not dive and your gear won't matter! It will rot!

Regulator: Simple, Light, and a name Brand that if you travel you cam buy parts in Timbucktoo!

BCD: I like Dive Rite it travels well and is the most versatile I have seen in 37 years! Also rugged and will last and they are modular! Back inflation I think is best, but up to you? Back does not squeeze you on the surface!

Computer: If I could recommend one computer it would be the Oceanic Data Pro plus II. You will never need another as long as you dive! It is the Lear Jet of computers, yet easy and reliable! No cheap, but the company stands behind it and I have over 1200 dives on mine and it is great! It will expand with you, it will help you plan your dives, and it is down loadable!

Last but not least: Reed's Rod all porpoise dive tool! Save a reef dive with Reed's Rod!

hbh2oguard
10-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Fines: Stay away from Split fins it is simple physics, trust me!

Huh? I love my split fins! yeah I know there is a loss or power but I don't even notice that I'm wearing them. I don't normally dive in real strong currents so the loss of power/thrust isn't that big of an issue.

Papa Bear
10-21-2009, 08:30 PM
So would you stand for a loss in power with other things you buy? More coral gets whacked with splits because they are not stable! I can scull or kick once to a SF user who has to kick two or three times to get to the same place! Split fines like the ones that flex are broken and I can see why people are sold broken gear and like it? Oh, ya I do, I remember the election, never mind! :beat:

hbh2oguard
10-22-2009, 04:00 AM
Love how you bring politics into everything but I know you are one of the few republicans left so I commend your efforts (only 20% of Americans classify themselves as republicans per CNN). But back to fins..... it's personal comfort over anything and split fins are comfortable for me!!! Not too worried about disrupting coral because I'm stuck in the cool temperate waters of central CA.

Papa Bear
10-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Right everyone is behind the Obama Nation! Well right is not by majority rule that is a mob! But the point is just like Obamanation the woll is being pulled over people eyes. The fin industry had to come up with a new product so they could sell fins, because a good set should last for years! It is all sales and they feel comfortable because they are inefficient!

BTW I am Conservative first and republican second, and I am not the one who puts politics into everything it is the liberals and Dumocrats that want to control every aspect of your life and SCUBA is next! Look at Cap & Trade it is the beginning of the end for us!

Try a good set of light blades and you will see the difference!

acelockco
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
One of the prerequisites to being a Democrat is that you know how to spell. I guess that answers some questions.

Papa Bear
10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
And to day the Dumocrats will be voting to control the internet! How nice! And I am blamed for bring in politics? Form over substance is the liberal way! and ace when I want you to grade my comments for spelling, I will ask you! Other wise butt out our I will hunt down every typo, miss spelling, all the miss statements you make! Remember when YOU are pointing fingers three are pointing back at you! And you sire are just being rude!

acelockco
10-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I am just saying look at who is calling everyone Dumocrats. It is like the kettle calling the pot black.

Sorry, I call it like I see it.

:violin:

Papa Bear
10-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Well maybe you should get a new mask, maybe prescription so then even you can really see! A mask is one of the most important pieces of equipment since it is impossible to see and understand the problems you might face if you can't see them! If you can't then you have to check and make sure you mask is not leaking or fogging up hiding the real danger just on the other side of the reef!

With a good mask you can see things coming long before others do, and you then would have a responsibility to warn friends that you see what is coming even when they don't! That's what a buddy does when they have a better mask and see clearly! SO NEVER skimp on the a good mask that fits well or you could end up in big trouble and you will never see it coming! It could be a matter of life and death!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

hbh2oguard
10-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Try a good set of light blades and you will see the difference!

I have and hated them. On my last boat dive my fin clip broke and I used a pair of mares and really didn't care for them, way too stiff.

Papa Bear
10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
They are telling you something, you need to get your legs in better shape! Or you kick is not right, it is a law of physics that every action has an opposite and EQUAL reaction. So here is an easy way to experiment and see for your self. Get a number of fins and go to the pool, use your split fins and watch carefully how many kicks it takes to get across the pool. Not hard kicks, but very slow gliding kicks and make sure you get the same range of lag movement so you can compare. I.e., not big with one or small with the other! Now try all the fins at least three times and add all the kicks for that fin together and divide by three to get an average per fin! Let us know what you find. If you can try different materials and weights! I find my Dive-Rites to be light and very effective! Be consistent and honest;)

acelockco
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
So here is an easy way to experiment and see for your self. Get a number of fins and go to the pool, use your split fins and watch carefully how many kicks it takes to get across the pool.

Yea' because we all have so much extra time, access to a pool, and an entire slew of fins to try. Not unless we work at a dive shop.

The Publisher
10-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Most dive shops should be able to let you try to use different fins they sell, providing they have a pool, and of course, that you are near a local dive shop!

acelockco
10-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Most dive shops should be able to let you try to use different fins they sell, providing they have a pool, and of course, that you are near a local dive shop!

That would be great. I have never been to a dive shop that has their own pool. All of the dive shops I have ever been to use some local pool for their lessons, but they are usually not even close to the shops.

hbh2oguard
10-24-2009, 04:25 AM
don't really have time to do that experiment, busy designing and building instruments for a subtidal exp. I'm conducting plus I'm happy with my fins. I'm in very good shape and that really doesn't have anything to do with it becasue I prefer stiffer fins for body surfing and rescues. I'm using a lot less effort to kick so I'm using less air = a longer dive:) But for now I'm sticking with my split fins.

hbh2oguard
10-24-2009, 04:35 AM
exp. already conducted: http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Fins200401.shtml

Papa Bear
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
The researchers concluded: “Based on the physics of fin swimming ... it is clear that some fins have better performance (Attack, Apollo) than other fins; however, this cannot be ascribed to a single fin characteristic. The research also made it clear that Venturis, vents, troughs, and splits did not improve the performance of the tested fins.” As a result, they determined, “Further work is needed to develop the optimization of fin characteristics, by lowering drag (kick depth-rigidity) and maximizing efficiency (kick frequency-flexibility), to minimize energy requirement and maximize performance.”

All gimmicks!

Thanks for the link! I still think a person should do it for themselves!

hbh2oguard
10-25-2009, 02:27 AM
of course it's all gimmicks....anything to make sales! I have access to a variety of fins that I can borrow from buddies and a pool so one day I might get around to it but no promises.

myscubastory
02-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Best thing to do is use lots of different rental and club gear when you start off - then you can form an opinion before you invest in you own set of gear

deragoku
05-04-2012, 02:06 AM
"Your face, and through your nose and technology to ensure a good seal, to ensure easy assist to tie the access to the nose, also check the hard drive part of the framework, not too close or touching the nose or nose.

Papa Bear
12-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Here is a picture of some of my friends on a recent dive trip. If you look close you will see that one friends fins are bent in half because of the "Hinge" built into the fin! You lose power and control, but it feels like your tearing it up, in reality your just moving your leg a lot more and less water is being displaced!
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/479762_4652734369073_1988210044_n.jpg