PDA

View Full Version : camera choices

kaka
03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I know this might be a pretty broad question but I need some advice. I am considering several cameras: DX-1G, Nikon D90 or the Nikon D300. I do a fair amount of topside photography - I've got a friend who is a professional photographer to help with basic photo pointers but he isnt familiar with UW photos so wont really comment. I havent done any underwater pics myself so I really need some help. I am planning a dive trip to North Carolina in May & Sulawesi in October. I would like to get a camera to "practice" with in May. I know the D90 has video which might be nice but I like the quality of the D300. Unfortunately, I've got more of a beer budget than a Nikon budget! Would it be a good choice to start with the DX, use it for a while then move up? I might be able to get the D300/90 by Oct but I definitely cant get everything to go with it. Bottomline is: I REALLY want to be able to get some good pics in Sulawesi!!

Thanks for any help!
Kathy

The Publisher
03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi Kathy,

Good pics will come with proper lenses, strobes set to the proper settings, good technique, etc,etc.

You should be able to get REALLY good photos with the D90 by having a good lens, the right port, strobes and all using the right settings. One thing nice about DSLR's is right away you know how you screwed up, and can usually reshoot.

Perhaps you can try buying a used D90 and housing, that way when you are ready for Sulawesi, you can go with the D300 and not take too much of a loss.

hbh2oguard
03-05-2009, 12:26 AM
You could probably get a D90 and a housing for pretty close to what's the D300 alone will cost. Just remember that housing are pretty much the same price as the camera, give or take a little. Also a housing for a DSLR is pretty big and bulk, I borrowed one and you really have to get use to diving with one. Personally I prefered my point and shoot because I can store it in a pocket during the dive and when I see something cool I can take it out. I know there is are a few guys on here that know a lot more about DSLR's though.

shinek
03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
All sounds like good advice, but I'll add a few words on taking care of the gear. Having made a couple of little errors in the past and cost myself 2 cameras because of them, I wanted to urge some TLC.

Whatever camera and housing you get;
Check the O rings regularly and every time you open and close the housing make sure everything is clean, no hairs or little particles of grit or dust on or near the O rings. Check the housing in fresh water before every dive, most dive operations have buckets set aside for cameras. If not, put it in the bath tub or sink before you leave for the boat and if everything seems OK, no bubbles coming out and no sign of moisture inside, then don't open it again until after the dives and it has been thoroughly rinsed and dried.

I got a little casual with mine on one trip and just popped it open, changed batteries, or whatever I was doing, and snapped it shut. At about 25 feet down I noticed a little moisture appearing on the inside of the housing. I went straight back up but by the time I got back to the boat there was plenty of salt water inside the housing and, though I was able to retrieve the pics already taken (card was OK), the camera was a write off. I believe I kinked the O ring when I shut the case and obviously didn't check thoroughly. An expensive mistake that I won't make again.

Manufacturers will tell you how to take care of the equipment both during use and while storing. The guys here have a wealth of experience in all aspects of underwater photography and are always willing to share, so keep asking and check other threads within the forum and there is lots of useful info.

Enjoy your diving and I'll look forward to seeing some of the photos posted here in the future.