PDA

View Full Version : Resorts with "No Gloves" policy?

The Publisher
02-25-2009, 08:21 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3401172492_fdd7a2e2df.jpg

I have noticed that more and more resorts are enforcing a "no gloves" policy.

Yes, above is my finger 2 weeks after a recent HD video assignment at a resort. Contact areas were sore and inflamed for that long.

It is inevitable that when I am in close proximity to reef structures to get macro shots, I am going to need to avoid bumping into things as the current may drift me into contact, so I look for a portion of the structure that I can gently put a finger or hand to slowly push off or to stabilize myself. I don't do this on coral, I tend to do it to rocks with limited growth portions, or sponges, etc. Sometimes when coral is involved I may place a finger or two on the underside of the coral, but I am the same guy who when I see those round or oblong solitary freestanding corals that always just sit eon the bottom and are not attached, well, they tend to get overturned a lot, which will cause them to die, so I always flip that back upright so they can get sunlight.

Bottom line is, I am conscientious about what I touch. And to put things into perspective, the average adult bumphead wrasse devours 1-2 tons of coral each year.

What are you thoughts?

lars2923
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
where you're coming from. I understand where they are coming from.
So I guess fat fingers is what we're gonna have to come back with.

I would like to see the data that shows divers without gloves
touch less.

Would touching coral with gloves be less damaging than touching without
gloves? ( ie. body oils)

I can go on on the thoughts of the pros and cons.. The difference between
seasoned divers vs. the kamikazi diver, the conscientious diver vs the
uneducated.

shinek
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
For the most part, I don't have an issue with the "no gloves" policy, although I sympathize with your swollen fingers issue. Its obviously not aimed at the experienced and careful diver. I've seen too many relatively novice divers grab reef rather than fix their own bouyancy. I've also known a number of divers who carry gloves in their BC pocket and put them on once they're in the water which gets around boat crew enforcement but not if the boat provides guides/divemasters.

If the policy does nothing more than ensure people are fully aware of the potential damage they do by touching the reefs, then it is likely to be doing some good.

lars2923
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
When ever you see someone grossly touching the coral,
I say touch them with a bit of fire coral.. Like the cartoon when Homer
keeps touching a live wire... Shock.. Doh! touch... shock.. doh! touch..
shock... doh! until they get it.

The Publisher
02-27-2009, 12:54 AM
I see fins banging corals far more frequently. Then there is the cursory turtle munching away on the reef with abandon.

hbh2oguard
02-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Bottom line is, I am conscientious about what I touch. And to put things into perspective, the average adult bumphead wrasse devours 1-2 tons of coral each year.

What are you thoughts?

I don't see how you can compare yourself with a fish in it's environment. Remember we are guests. I've never done any diving in tropical water or anywhere where gloves aren't allowed. Personally I don't really like gloves and very rarely use them and I'm diving in cooler temperate waters of central california. So I say tough it out.:) I don't know how strick they are but cut the fingers off of the gloves, you still get some warmth but have a lot more freedom and maybe the operator will be off your back.

BigBlueTech
03-01-2009, 07:57 AM
We do our best to enforce this in Thailand, simply as an educational aspect as please don't touch anything, people with gloves might be more inclined to touch things and are wearing gloves more for that reason.

I think for the most part, if you're an experienced diver with a reason to have gloves (tech diving, videography etc etc) then they should leave you to.

cowleyp
03-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Hi, it's good that the resort management is doing something to protect the reefs, better something than nothing. There are dives I would never do without gloves or a knife/cutting device so I sympathise with your issues but I have seen photographers/videographers doing real damage by wedging themselves in for a shot, some of them experienced and well published. Pity we can't do something about the realy serious threats to the ocean as easily as prohibiting gloves or teaching better control.

The Publisher
03-10-2009, 05:51 AM
I am reading all these posts as I peal off dead skin from my thumb and index finger.... ;)

acelockco
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM
I think the "No Gloves" policy is a bunch of BS. I went to Negril and they had a no gloves policy, funny thing is the local fishermen have and are currently destroying the reef every day. They drag weighted nets and drop their lobster pots right on the reef. I just don't see how gloves are going to make a difference.

I personally wear gloves on every dive, usually necessary for thermal protection, but even in warm waters I wear some thin gloves. I feel more comfortable knowing that my hands have some protection on them. I know not to put my hands on the reef, so I don't, but I do touch a lot of things when digging through a wreck for artifacts, or when trying to grab a lobster, and especially when going up an anchor line or mooring buoy line.

Anyway, it is my personal policy to keep a set of gloves in a pocket when there is a no glove policy somewhere. I figure I am happy they are trying to protect the reef, but I believe it is just as important for me to protect myself and keep my hands safe.

Oh, I also think more people kick the reef with their fins then put their hands on the reef. Maybe a better idea would be to offer a perfect buoyancy class before diving the reef.

The Publisher
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Ace, I agree about the fins thing, maybe they ought to have a no fins policy! lol.

acelockco
03-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Ace, I agree about the fins thing, maybe they ought to have a no fins policy! lol.

They are trying to do something to help the reef, however what they are doing does not really make any sense and was obviously not thoroughly thought out. I don't know of any US dive operation that has this rule, I am sure it is because once someone gets a hand injury the business would be sued.

shinek
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I personally wear gloves on every dive, usually necessary for thermal protection, but even in warm waters I wear some thin gloves. I feel more comfortable knowing that my hands have some protection on them. I know not to put my hands on the reef, so I don't, but I do touch a lot of things when digging through a wreck for artifacts, or when trying to grab a lobster, and especially when going up an anchor line or mooring buoy line.

Ace, very good point re: mooring buoy lines etc. Lots of interesting little critters living on those and most of them seem to have some sort of "stinging" capability. Also, watch out for rusty fish hooks caught in the line. I don't always wear gloves, but if I don't have them with me, I have been known to grasp the mooring line in my elbow for the safety stop, if there's any sort of current. Either that or hang on to one of my buddies who's wearing the gloves ;)

acelockco
03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
...I have been known to grasp the mooring line in my elbow for the safety stop, if there's any sort of current. Either that or hang on to one of my buddies who's wearing the gloves ;)

Exactly, and why should we have to do that? It is not a safe practice in my opinion, so by having a no gloves policy, the dive operator is essentially asking that we dive in an unsafe manor.

shinek
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
As was said earlier, the fact that US operators don't insist on this may be due to the potential for legal action were someone to get injured. Although in most cases it seems to be local authority rules, rather than the dive operators themselves.

Last time I was in Cozumel, where the Marine Park guys can be pretty strict on the no gloves policy (also no knives, as I recall), the dive boat was very quick to point out that it did not apply when diving the wreck. Can't remember the name of it, but it is a good dive, the Oxycontin or something like that. Anyway, they recognise that you may need to be able to push, hold, grab the wreck in certain parts to make your way through it and as an artifical reef, the no-gloves rules didn't apply. Just thought I'd add that to the discussion.

shinek
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Just looked these up:

Preservation of Cozumel's beaches, coastline and reefs is the responsibility of SEMARNAP, the Marine Park Authority. They are assisted by the Port Captain and the Mexican Navy.

In order to protect and conserve our precious marine life, the following regulations should be strictly adhered to by all boats, divers, and fishermen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED:
To stand on, or take hold of the coral reefs
To fish for, to collect, to disturb or to keep any marine life organism found in the Park (fishes, corals, shells, starfish, etc.)
To carry spears, hooks, harpoons or explosives
To carry gloves or knives (Dive Masters and Instructors may register these items for use with the Marine Park).
To disturb or to remove fauna and flora from their refuge.
To feed any fish or animals in the Marine Park
To dispose of any kind of solid waste in the ocean.
To dump fuel, grease, oil, or any other liquid substances into the ocean
To use sun block or suntan oils which are not biodegradable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dive guides are authorized to enforce these rules. Your courtesy in carefully following these rules ensures that our precious reefs, living organisms in their own right, will enjoy long and healthy lives. For your support and help, the people of Cozumel thank you.

acelockco
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, I guess that's why they say "rules are made to be broken". ;)

RAWalker
04-01-2009, 06:12 AM
While in Cancun last year a DM saw me put on a pair of gloves and told me of the no glove policy. I explained that my wife was a new OW diver who still was having some buoyancy issues. I went on and stated I can take care of my wife or she (the DM) could babysit her. The DM said the rule is to protect the reef and I explained I was well aware as a diver with a Project AWARE Specialty should be. I was told I could wear the gloves and as I completed my gear up I noticed that the DM was also wearing gloves.
Later, after the days diving was done I just had to ask what the real story is about the rule. I was told it is just a way to keep the tourists from touching everything and doing damage.

The Publisher
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I am thinking of putting them in my BC and just putting them on underwater.

I have only had an issue with one resort though.

acelockco
04-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I am thinking of putting them in my BC and just putting them on underwater.

I have only had an issue with one resort though.

Yep, that is what I do. No reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Of course you can play the "poor circulation" route and the need for expsure protection for your cold wittle hands.

annakieu541
01-31-2018, 08:59 AM
For the most part, I don't have an issue with the "no gloves" policy, although I sympathize with your swollen fingers issue. Its obviously not aimed at the experienced and careful diver. I've seen too many relatively novice divers grab reef rather than fix their own bouyancy. I've also known a number of divers who carry gloves in their BC pocket and put them on once they're in the water which gets around boat crew enforcement but not if the boat provides guides/divemasters.

If the policy does nothing more than ensure people are fully aware of the potential damage they do by touching the reefs, then it is likely to be doing some good.

You are right!