PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wisconsin

Tompkcj
02-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Totally new to this subject matter. I am taking my wife and son to Mexico (Barcelo Tropical in Riviera Maya) in early summer and I am in the market for good/cost effective snorkeling equipment to bring along. There is no "snorkeling magazine" on the market and this website looks to provide a good forum on equipment so I decided to join. My 5 yr old son is a fish out of water, as I was in my youth, so I am looking to embarking on this journey as a family. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

h2odragon1
02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Welcome to SMN.
Snorkeling? If you have a Sports Authority near you they should have US divers or Body Glove sets for around $30-$50, (snorkel, mask and fins). Our local SA does. The mask should be fitted. This is done by placing the strap in front of the lenses and putting the mask against your face and inhaling through your nose. The mask should stay on your face with this suction alone. This will not let water in when in the water. The fins in these kits are occasionally full foot fins, and do not need booties as the back of the fin is fully closed and not adjustable. An open foot fin will allow for adjusting for your individual foot size and may need booties to prevent rubbing on your heels,( this is important if you are doing a lot of snorkeling time). The snorkels in these kits are adequate. You can get dry snorkels at you local dive shop.
You could go to a scuba store and spend more for a nice fitted set of gear.
I started my wife off on a kit from SA and she now has a better set put together by me, ( fins, mask, snorkel bought separately). :)
Have a good time.

The Publisher
02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the SMN Community Tom, be prepared to become addicted, and scuba will be next!

Sarah
02-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for joining up Tom :)