PDA

View Full Version : Back from Roatan

WarmWaterdiver
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
hello all
I just got back from Roatan and can say the diving sites are spectacular. I stayed at the Bay Island Beach Resort and everyone from the housekeeper, cook, dive staff and owners were courteous, friendly and bending over backwards to make our stay the best possible.
The DMs are very good and make your dives special. I was mostly with DM Clyde and he made sure everyone was within sight, and safe and he took painstaking care to point out extraordinary creatures.
I skipped 4 dives during the week because I was busy doing other stuff but still got in 14 dives between Saturday and Thursday. Friday, it rained and the current was a little stiff so I skipped my planned shore dive our to spooky channel. Anyway, I did a couple of dives there earlier during the week and that is something to behold.
What once was a channel is now part of the marine park as the reef has grown over in spots to make GIANT swim throughs . That is swim throughs where the depth between the bottom and top is 50 feet or more and 50 feet wide. Lots of fish, beautiful coral.
We saw schools of squid, huge schools of blue tangs, small schools of barracudas, and the usual damsils, angels, eels, crabs, lobsters, an occasional seahorse, tons and tons of parrotfish, pretty big groupers following us around as if we were leading them to food and of course, the ever present, always beautiful fairy basslets.
Lots of fun, going back in May, trying to recover from the ordeal of flying today while I thoroughly clean my gear and get mentally ready for reality starting tomorrow.

Sarah
01-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Great report, WWD! What was the water temperature and visibility like, and were there many bugs aka no-see-ums?

Any photos?

:)

WarmWaterdiver
01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Great report, WWD! What weas the water temperature and visibility like, and were there many bugs aka no-see-ums?
Any photos? :)

water temp was a chilly 82. I made my first dive with a 1 mm but had to resort to the heavy stuff for the rest - a 3 mm.
Visibility was pretty good, not exceptionally great, approx 70 feet on most dives, some slightly less, some slightly more.
The no-see-ums were not too bad. Could be because whenever it was time to be dry, that is after the afternoon dives, I sprayed Off with deet on my legs and arms. But I dont think they were a problem for anyone. The flies were everywhere though, I am bringing fly paper when I go back.
Completed AOW and Nitrox while I was there. I am still a mediocre diver but on paper, I am highly trained and skilled.
Anyone going to Roatan, skip the shark dive excursion. Most liked it but I thought the Blackbeard shark dive/feed in the Bahamas was lightyears better.
I only lugged around my camera on two dives and took about 50 pictures. Only one is worth a hoot, the rest suck. I would post some but I have a reputation to maintain and if those got out, I would have to change my name.

Sarah
03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
WWD, any photos you want to post, you can send them to me and I will color, hue, saturation, contrast and whatever else I can tweak in Photoshop for you.

Papa Bear
03-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Shane is a great teacher! He is so easy going and he could be a linebacker. I have spent hundreds, yes hundreds of dives in spooky channel doing the Spooky Channel Survey. 97ft deep in the middle Genie Bottle shape and it is growing together at the top. Healthy reef. It is not the biggest, but maybe the best resort on the island. I also think the shark dive is top notch. The Dolphin dive is great as well. You can see pictures of BIBR and Spooky Channel at my web site. I also have a number of videos including the new zipline tour. Glade you enjoyed it!

hbh2oguard
03-12-2008, 05:57 AM
water temp was a chilly 82. Visibility was pretty good, not exceptionally great, approx 70 feet on most dives, some slightly less, some slightly more.

Sounds tuff, I'd take it in a hear beat:)

Papa Bear
03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Take a look at this guy see if he looks familiar?
http://twotankedproductions.com/images/600__MG_9082_Shane_at_the_BIBR_07.jpg

SayNo2Snow
06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=WarmWaterdiver;1069]hello all

The Thursday night Tequila Downs Pig Roast and Crab racing. Not to be missed.

We were in Roatan the same time but stayed over in West Bay. Dove with Bananarama, another excellent Dive Operator, we didn't stay there, but they were a couple minutes up the beach from our suite.

We also took in the shark diving adventure on the other side of the island. That was AMAZING!!

SayNo2Snow

frogfishes
09-29-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm going to be arriving on Roatan on November 1. Any tips for while I'm there? I'm staying at the same place and am a vegetarian - did you note whether or not there were a lot of veggie options available?

Thanks for any help and tips!!
-Rachel

frogfishes
09-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Actually I just checked and am staying at Anthony's Key Resort, so skip the veggie questions, thanks! :)

Sarah
09-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Do take some photos for us all Rachel! :)

frogfishes
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Shall do! :)

shinek
09-30-2008, 03:34 AM
A suggestion while you're in Roatan. Karl Stanley's submarine excursion. I tried to do it when we were there, but the weather just would not cooperate. As he said, the waves are not an issue when you're 2000 feet down, but getting in and out of the harbour and over the reef could be a bit of a problem.

I've promised myself that if I ever go back to Roatan, I will definitely do this. I was looking forward to having a 2000 foot dive in my log book. ;)

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/welcome/index.php

If you take the trip, I'd love to hear about it.

Hang on ..... just read on his web site that he is having some issues with the local authorities over there. Its all on the web site, so I hope he gets it sorted.

frogfishes
09-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I found it yesterday and got all giddy, then read the legality issues as well. So it's currently non-operational :( Every marine biologist's dream is to go down in a deep-sea submersible. Maybe someday.

A suggestion while you're in Roatan. Karl Stanley's submarine excursion. I tried to do it when we were there, but the weather just would not cooperate. As he said, the waves are not an issue when you're 2000 feet down, but getting in and out of the harbour and over the reef could be a bit of a problem.

I've promised myself that if I ever go back to Roatan, I will definitely do this. I was looking forward to having a 2000 foot dive in my log book. ;)

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/welcome/index.php

If you take the trip, I'd love to hear about it.

Hang on ..... just read on his web site that he is having some issues with the local authorities over there. Its all on the web site, so I hope he gets it sorted.