PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Dive Computer -- Gekko ok?

TravellinThru
01-27-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm a recreational diver, I've been certified for almost a year, I have 50 dives in the Philippines. I am looking for a good, inexpensive dive computer to buy before a trip to Hawaii in April 2009. I have focused in on the Suunto Gekko because I hear Suunto makes dive computers that are good and that last. I have seen one and I can read the letters (important as my eyes fossilize:(), and I've seen a prices of $205-250.

The biggest negative I've seen is that it doesn't have a back light, it is phosphorescent. How big a negative is that?

What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Bob

The Publisher
01-27-2009, 02:52 AM
As long as your primary dive light or backup never goes out, you don't need a backlight! ;)

hbh2oguard
01-27-2009, 03:53 AM
I have a back light on my aladin prim and the only time I've ever used it was on accident trying to start the safety stop timmer. I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of a back light.

rubber chicken
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
The first dive computer I bought was a Gekko. IMHO an excellent 'starter computer. I actually prefer the phosphorescent screens to one with a backlight.

The only problems that I ever had with mine were: lack of gauge mode, (not a problem until I started doing deco dives). The pressure sensor packing in after 4 years, (I've heard that this is not rare for Suunto computers).

HTH

TravellinThru
01-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for your comments. It helps a lot to hear what other people say about their experiences when you are looking at equipment you've never used. For example, here and on other forums, I've had a lot of comments that people prefer phosphorescent or that backlighting doesn't matter.

Thank you, again.

Regards,
Bob