PDA

View Full Version : Video-Great White Breaks Through Divers Cage

Sarah
12-28-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_EIGI9qFp4&feature=related

acelockco
01-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Well, I would guess so. Did you see that crappy shark cage, it looked like it was made out of aluminum square stock garden fence. I am wondering who thought 1/8" thick aluminum would hold up to any kind of force?

The Publisher
01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Ace, those have to be some of the poorest welds to have broken like that.

Nothing like trusting your life to the welder.

acelockco
01-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Well, we all do trust our lives to welders every day. They were certainly not certified welds. I still don't think it was the proper material to start with though.

jamescrew6
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I was on a great white shark dive in Baja California with a woman that had a similar experience. It happened on the same boat we were on this time. The boat had just arrived at the sight and had lowered the shark cages into the water, placed the bait in the water, and shortly two great whites appear. One 11 footer tried to grab the bait in front of the cage and severed the rope holding it. It turned around and made another grab at it and got it real close to the cage. Just as with this video, she pushed her head into the cage and was trapped. She began thrashing and pushed into the cage forcing the three divers in the cage to one side. Fortunately, she turned away from the divers and went out the other side of the cage. The cages are approximately 8 feet long and about 4 feet wide. The bars are made of tubular aluminum about 3inches long and 2 inches wide. It broke the bar into pieces. The shark only took 45 seconds to enter and leave. I saw pics of the cage and it was totally trashed. Lucky divers!!!!! If the shark had turned into the divers they would have had no chance. Great whites are huge and incredibly strong. Someone videoed the entire incident and it was shown on Shark Week.

Regards,

Bill