PDA

View Full Version : New HD Video File Sharing Site: ExposureRoom

The Publisher
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
So far ExposureRoom seems to be superior to Vimeo in video quality, and we are testing it all out now.

ScubaMagazine.net's ExposureRoom page (http://exposureroom.com/members/ScubaMagazinenet.aspx/)

Josh
12-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Nice video Dave. What did the airline do for you to earn a credit? We are always on the lookout for ways of getting some lee-way on the excess luggage fees. Any ideas.

lars2923
02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
OK, what's the secret.
At the beginning, it's obvious you're traveling on a boat, yet the camera is
not moving up and down with the waves... and underwater shots seem as though the camera is steady, even with the current obvious flowing by...
http://exposureroom.com/members/ScubaMagazinenet.aspx/assets/21a9bb47e29f4468915cdf3a0146a9fd/

How do you do it?

Thanx,
Lars

The Publisher
02-28-2009, 03:13 AM
Lars,

The waves were actually really small, not the typical trough to trough thing. Then I used Final Cut Pro's Smoothcam feature, which cleans up the tiny jitters.

As to underwater, some shots I run through Smoothcam filter to varying degrees, but I try as much as possible not to, as it zooms in digitally which reduces resolution.

Otherwise, most underwater shots, I just try to be as smooth as possible, and when doing macro, if the bottom is suitable, such as sand, I let air out of my BC, drop to my knees, sometimes even my chest, and pull the videocam to my mask faceplate to add a further point of stability. Ideally, if the critter is right on the bottom, I nudge the bottom nose of the housing in to the sand, drop down almost flat, and spread my legs sideways to add a stable triangular platform to it all. Then lastly, for a 20 minute video, I shoot about 4 hours of footage, and use only the best.

Future videos will have use of wireless Sennheiser microphones for interviews, dive briefings, etc.

lars2923
02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
OK, most of the things you mentions I deploy.
I use Sony Vegsas Movie Studio Platinum for the editing.
I'll check on the Smoothcam feature.

I thought you were using a tripod. Something I believe I will begin
trying on my next shoot.

Thanks for the feedback... It's much appreciated.

I failed to mention: Very nice Vids!!

Cheers,
Lars

nautilusvideo
03-02-2009, 07:52 PM
So far ExposureRoom seems to be superior to Vimeo in video quality, and we are testing it all out now.

Have any of you given any thought to protecting your intellectual property given the ease with which anyone can download your HD footage and reuse it?

Once you put something on the web the world owns and it worse yet thinks it does.

lars2923
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Have any of you given any thought to protecting your intellectual property given the ease with which anyone can download your HD footage and reuse it?

Once you put something on the web the world owns and it worse yet thinks it does.

Vimeo allows the owner to set protection on the vid.
for example, embedding can only be done from sites authorized.
Sharing allowed or not allowed, etc..

Papa Bear
03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
The creator always owns the rights to their intellectual properties! The Policing part is the the hardest part. Once on the web it is NOT the worlds, it is your on the web!

The Publisher
03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
We plaster our name all over the videos. I know many file sharing programs auto port over videos from other sites, sort of like a swirling vortex big black hole of into a 5th video dimension.

One of the things nice about Vimeo is we can see "referrers" or where the video has been ported over to. If a competitor or someone who has been unseeming did it, of course we would put an abrupt end to their use, but otherwise, on a case by case basis, we are ok with it although we reserve all rights.

Now if someone is making $ off it, that certainly would change things, but if someone wants to use videos to promote diving and dive tourism to regions we've reviewed, isn't sharing great times such a great part of this sport?

nautilusvideo
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Vimeo allows the owner to set protection on the vid. for example, embedding can only be done from sites authorized.
Sharing allowed or not allowed, etc..

Lars, unfortunately not true. Anyone can easily download your video to their laptop and do with it as they wish.

The creator always owns the rights to their intellectual properties! The Policing part is the the hardest part. Once on the web it is NOT the worlds, it is your on the web!

PapaBear, agreed BUT as you know what's legal and what people do are two different things.

I only bring this subject up because I think that few if any people give any thought at all to what happens to their video once it's posted and how easy it is to misappropriate. Had this discussion with a colleague of mine about his video on Vimeo and to prove my point pulled down his HD short, cut it and sent it back to him in HD and with little if any picture degradation. Got his attention real quick.

Papa Bear
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
It's called exposure! If you find a piece in a commercial piece then you have been damaged and there are remedies! If not then water mark it or don't post it, but you lose exposure!

lars2923
03-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Lars, unfortunately not true. Anyone can easily download your video to their laptop and do with it as they wish.

If you have the capability, try using the Crystal River Manatees as a test.
If you can and can show me, I have to then question the controls
Vimeo provides..

Thanx,
Lars

nautilusvideo
03-04-2009, 03:42 AM
If you have the capability, try using the Crystal River Manatees as a test.
If you can and can show me, I have to then question the controls
Vimeo provides..

Lars, sorry I got in late. Please PM me with a link to the clip you wish me to download and your email. I'll edit out a short portion and email it back to you.

Regards,
Rick

lars2923
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
nautilusvideo downloaded and presented me with a clip of a video
I thought was secured from Vimeo.

It could be my misunderstanding of the controls or it could be
Vimeo does not lock downloading... My ignorance.

Thanks nautilusvideo for showing me that it is possible to download,
edit and use any portion of my video somewhere else.. No credit for
my work..

Photographers and videographers should look into this further
if this is something that is commonly done, taking other peoples
work, and how to protect our work...

How do the big studios do it? Some umbrella clause?

Lars

The Publisher
03-05-2009, 12:25 AM
We put our name in the lower left of our videos, and the end has our copyright notice on it.

nautilusvideo
03-05-2009, 12:33 AM
We put our name in the lower left of our videos, and the end has our copyright notice on it.

Care to send a link to one of your online videos?

The Publisher
03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
HD Video, Scuba Diving in Anilao, part 1 (http://exposureroom.com/members/ScubaMagazinenet.aspx/assets/cbea81f8bd824738ae1bd60e91062d8c/)

lars2923
03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I just discovered Vimeo limits a single file to 1GB...
Bummer.. I have a 1.9GB file to upload..
I wonder if The http://exposureroom.com/ had a similar limit...

Off to http://exposureroom.com/ to find out...

Lars

Appears Exposure room does not have the limitation.. I'm uploading
now...

The Publisher
03-12-2009, 11:08 AM
1.9 gigs is a huge video file size. I would think that would stutter badly on Vimeo. We use DVKitchen to reduce them to more manageable levels.

lars2923
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
1.9 gigs is a huge video file size. I would think that would stutter badly on Vimeo. We use DVKitchen to reduce them to more manageable levels.

I want your job! :-)
DVKitchen: Is it free? (I can look that up)
How does it appear to affect your HD video...?

1.9GB is large? lol...

Thanx,
Lars

The Publisher
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
DVKitchen (http://www.dvcreators.net/dv-kitchen/) is like $79, and you output your video as a full size Quicktime file, then it handles compression for you along the lines of H.264. If I can use it, anyone can, as they have an online video tutorial that is really quick.

Your HD video should end up on the 200-300 mb range for reasonable playback, anything much larger will stutter when playing on a video sharing site.