PDA

View Full Version : Can shark skin scratch a dome port?

The Publisher
12-22-2008, 12:41 AM
I am so militantly protective of my dome port that while on the surface I put on the neoprene cover before I even hand it up to the deckhands.

I see guy shoving their dome ports against shark noses all the time and always wondered if sharkskin can scratch a plexiglas dome port.

Anyone have any experience?

lars2923
12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Give me that camera set you have and I'll let you know. :-0

Lars

acelockco
12-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I am so militantly protective of my dome port that while on the surface I put on the neoprene cover before I even hand it up to the deckhands.

I see guy shoving their dome ports against shark noses all the time and always wondered if sharkskin can scratch a plexiglas dome port.

Anyone have any experience?

Well, I think what you are seeing is the camera men getting too close and then needing the camera to fend off the sharks. I am sure that if they are professionals then the person that is paying them would cover the cost of a replacement dome port. Just my thoughts.

nautilusvideo
01-01-2009, 12:02 AM

In a word "Yes". But hey, if it's a great shot then it's worth it. I have to replace the outer element of my Phenom 94 lens at least once a year and I'm a fanatic about keeping the lens covered too.

Jon Shaw
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Is the phenom port Acrylic? Sharks will definitely scratch acrylic but maybe not glass.... glass is heaps more resilient but cannot be re-polished.
I have removed small scratches from Acrylic domes with a fair degree of success, there is a product called micro mesh that works well.

Jon

The Publisher
01-16-2009, 01:22 AM
The Phenom plastic port has a scratch resistant coating on it, which precludes one from removing a scratch via that excellent product Jon mentioned.

Jon Shaw
01-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Sorry Dave, just to clarify the Phenom WA port is plastic but has a scratch resistant coating which prevents it from being re-polished?

That's a bugger...

Have you seen anyone with the Z7 phenom as yet?

The Publisher
01-19-2009, 03:43 AM
Jon, yes, that is what they tell me. The Z7 housing is nice, but I have my sights set on a Scarlet and Amphibico housing.