PDA

View Full Version : Andrea Doria

Zero
01-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Ok being on the other side of the world to what is probably the pinnacle of wreck diving im just curious as too what the costs are for the guys that are doing the Andrea Doria. What is involved from go to whoa? The logistics must be massive. Is there a hard season on when it can be done?

Matt

JS1scuba
01-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Ok being on the other side of the world to what is probably the pinnacle of wreck diving im just curious as too what the costs are for the guys that are doing the Andrea Doria. What is involved from go to whoa? The logistics must be massive. Is there a hard season on when it can be done?

Matt

Matt, I have run Doria trips for years. The logistics when we have non-local clients is huge. But we are set up for it.

Here is a link to our current trip.

TDL DORIA TRIP (http://tdl.divebiz.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=101898&zenid=591896dfa98d5bc240ea5d4541f975ae)

Our trips are typically more expensive than some others. But that is because we take fewer people and have more support persons and equipment. The last thing I want is a client arriving from Australia and having his equipment lost in transit and not being able to dive. We bring full back up gear down to the last fin. Plus we have real food, not just hot-dogs. I also hand pick crew that can ensure a quality trip.

Even with all that our trips are a pass-through for us. Meaning my costs to do it and my revenue just about match up. There is no profit on these trips.

I have been on 14 expeditions and led 8 of them. It's a huge amount of work.

Cheers

Zero
01-26-2007, 08:06 PM
WOW That aint a cheap trip. For us down here its probably equivelant to a week in the Solomon Islands or Vanuatu with everything. Accomadation and flights included. Must be a big trip.

Matt

JS1scuba
01-26-2007, 08:35 PM
WOW That aint a cheap trip. For us down here its probably equivelant to a week in the Solomon Islands or Vanuatu with everything. Accomadation and flights included. Must be a big trip.

Matt

You don't compare it to a week of diving other locations. It's the Andrea Doria. Period. It's in a class by itself. As such comparing it is like comparing a pitching mound to Mount Everest.

Suffice to say Doria trips run from $1650 USD to $2850 usd depending on the op, boat, crew, and incidentals.

Cheers

Zero
01-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Very true. If you want to go climb Everest you dont go and climb one thats close by you pay the price and do it.
How often do trips run out there?

Matt