PDA

View Full Version : Tropical ocean diving in Utah?!

Sarah
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
In the desert just outside of the town of Grantsville, Utah, is a place where divers and snorkelers can dive with sharks, tropical fish like angelfish, pufferfish and even a school of bangaii cardinalfish.

The aquatic centre called Bonneville Seabase (http://www.seabase.net/), is located about 10 miles south of the Great Salt Lake. It is open for divers and snorkellers at the cost of $15 a day, four days a week.

George Sanders and his wife Linda Nelson, both scuba divers, have created a reserve for these marine creatures at a cost of almost 1 million dollars.

“We call it an interactive aquarium,” said Ms. Nelson, 62, a Utah native who, with her husband, 68, also runs a dive shop in Salt Lake City. “The sharks won’t bite unless you pull their tail.

Entrance is just $15.

shinek
12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Looks a cool place, wish we had something like that around here.

littleleemur
12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Looks like a really nice facility and very class friendly.

hbh2oguard
12-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Well a drive to utah is cheaper than a flight to Flordia or Hawaii. I might have to try to get to this place some time, looks pretty cool

acelockco
12-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Wow, that looks really interesting. I wish they would have some more and larger photos of the place. If anyone actually makes it out there, please give us a review of what they have to offer. I can't believe it is only $15 too, not too bad? Now I am wondering how those fish do at 67 degrees, a bit cold for them.

Sarah
12-05-2008, 06:23 AM
There is a natural hot spring underneath the ponds that transfer heat to keep the water warm.

We're working on photos.