PDA

View Full Version : Dive packages at resorts...what do you look for?

lottie
11-27-2008, 12:00 AM
hey all,
i'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me out here.

I have a new job at a 13-bed resort, that is within a 10 minute drive to another resort that does scuba diving.
One thing that we are planning is to do some packages (Honeymoon, VIP and a diving one!, and maybe some more at a later date)

What I would like is if you could answer the following questions, to give me some idea as to what the general consensus is amongst us divers...

1.) would you go for a dive package? ie. the price of the accomodations and two dives per day are within an all inclusive price?

2.) what additional extras would enhance your experience during your vacation/holiday?

3.) would you prefer to stay at a.) somewhere that doesn't have an on-site dive shop but provides transport to a nearby place or b.) stay at a resort that has an on-site dive shop.

4.) If you saw a dive package advertised at a resort (in the caribbean) would you go with a few friends/family that dive, or would there be non-divers in the group as well?

Thank-you

lars2923
11-27-2008, 12:06 AM
1.) would you go for a dive package? ie. the price of the accomodations and two dives per day are within an all inclusive price?

1A: Comparing price for room separate to diving. Is there really that much difference?

2.) what additional extras would enhance your experience during your vacation/holiday?
2A: Nothing.. All I want to do is dive..

3.) would you prefer to stay at a.) somewhere that doesn't have an on-site dive shop but provides transport to a nearby place or b.) stay at a resort that has an on-site dive shop.
3A: Has a shop on site. Why spend the extra time driving to / from.
3A: Also depends on what the shop offers. ie. location of sites visited. Who do they really cater to.. the novice to advanced, or to those that like deep or wreck or more challenging dives...

4.) If you saw a dive package advertised at a resort (in the caribbean) would you go with a few friends/family that dive, or would there be non-divers in the group as well?
4A: I tell my friends, if they can make it, great.. if not, I'll tell them all about it when I got back.

The Publisher
11-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Since I dive very gear intensive, I really dislike having the dive shop/boats not at the resort.

The issue is, unless you stay out all day long on the boat which most people don't like, then you come back to the shore. If you do 3 dives a day, that's 6 total trips, excluding a night dive. It is a huge hassle to do that. Lat time I did that, I ended up staying at the beach area all day and early eve instead of enjoying the most incredible resort grounds and accommodations I have ever seen.

lottie
11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Interesting comments - thanks guys.

Anyone else care to comment??? (I would most graciously and humbly like more opinions) :)

shinek
11-30-2008, 07:30 PM
We'd definitely prefer the dive shop at the resort, makes everything so much easier. Although, if its not too far and everything is taken care of, transport to the dive shop or marina, gear taken care of etc. then we'd certainly consider it.

Like the idea of dive packages, typically makes the overall price a little cheaper, but pricing should have the flexibiity to add or take out dives as preferred.

Usually, when we are on a dive trip, any of our friends who come along are also divers. But, if you do a 2 dive morning, even with another dive in the afternoon and/or night dive there is quite a lot of non-dive time so other activities available would always be a plus.

Good luck with the new job!