PDA

View Full Version : Open Rev Apocalypse - New Photos

The Publisher
11-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Interesting how the Open Revolution Apocalypse from Alex Deas looks like it has an axial thermistor array in the scrubber to monitor the scrubber bed.

The new aluminum casting for the mouthpiece is interesting in that it eliminates the weights needed on the loop hoses. Also noteworthy is the design feature where if you spit it out of your mouth underwater it will automatically instantly close so the loop doesn't flood.

The back mounted counterlungs have dumps built in. Very interesting build. The pattern on the shell and tanks by the way are just graphics, as carbon fiber reinforced plastic would be a bit of a brittle choice as opposed to a composite with kevlar (aromatic polyamide) in it.

Okeanos
11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Had a good look over it at the NEC dive show. Looks interesting, not sure I'm convinced about the scrubber design, pre-packed unit cost a lot more than packing your own. This will soon catch up on the cost of any other rebreather if you dive as often as I do.

The Publisher
11-17-2008, 12:27 AM
With the temp stick on my Vision scrubber, I regularly get 6-7 hours out of it when doing profiles typically under 30 meters. With loose sofnolime, I can pack it in all sorts of nooks and crannies as it makes it conformal to all my gear in packed bags we check on to flights. That is a real advantage to me as all my diving is tropical dive travel.

With the Cis-Lunar Mark 6 and their scrubber cartridge, at least they have a loose lime cartridge in the design stage, and theirs is hydrophobic and lithium hydroxide capable.

But the Apocalypse does appear to have an axial thermistor array for scrubber heat monitoring, so they must have designed it to work with a scrubber cartridge. The manufacturing work on the mouthpiece looks really robust and done well.

We should get the designer to chime in on whether that was an axial thermistor array and if it is compatible with planned lime cartridges.

lars2923
11-17-2008, 12:54 AM
What he said...

Brad_Horn
12-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Nothing to do with the designer, have just been following the evolution of the Apocalypse since concept, so have learnt a little about it.

Interesting how the Open Revolution Apocalypse from Alex Deas looks like it has an axial thermistor array in the scrubber to monitor the scrubber bed.
What you are referring to is a carbon fibre thermal heat collector for the Co2 monitoring elecs in the milspec Incursion eCCR, not the Apocalypse mCCR. By heating the Co2 elecs it reduces the effect of heat loss through using helium in the loop. You can see more about it by looking at the O.R. commercial bell divers rebreather, further available here http://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_products.php

The new aluminum casting for the mouthpiece is interesting in that it eliminates the weights needed on the loop hoses. Also noteworthy is the design feature where if you spit it out of your mouth underwater it will automatically instantly close so the loop doesn't flood.
Ali bits on the ALVBOV are prototype, production is apparently heavy plastic, same flow design though to get the wickedly low WOB.

The back mounted counterlungs have dumps built in. Very interesting build. The pattern on the shell and tanks by the way are just graphics, as carbon fiber reinforced plastic would be a bit of a brittle choice as opposed to a composite with kevlar (aromatic polyamide) in it.
You can flood the rig, dump the water and then continue the dive. Further pics and info is on www.opensafety.eu
The short version is 8mm thick and doesn't have the CF effect. Long case is 5-8mm thick and the CF effect is one of three case colour options.

With loose sofnolime, I can pack it in all sorts of nooks and crannies as it makes it conformal to all my gear in packed bags we check on to flights. That is a real advantage to me as all my diving is tropical dive travel.

if it is compatible with planned lime cartridges.
OS won't do granular scrubbers for the Apoc as they wouldn't pass CE certification. Aftermarket scrubbers that use kitty litter could be made but at a minimum the WOB would be increased by 1.1J/L, which would nearly double it.

Hope that clears things up.

Regards
Brad

jingjing
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
scrubber to monitor the scrubber bed.

The new aluminum casting for the mouthpiece is interesting in that it eliminates the weights needed on the loop hoses. Also noteworthy is the design feature where if you spit it out of your mouth underwater it will automatically instantly close so the loop doesn't flood.??