PDA

View Full Version : Regulators and underwater photography

snowshoerunner
10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Just got SSI certified a few weeks ago and am interested in getting into underwater photography. Have not bought any photo equipment or scuba equipment yet.

Wondering about photography regarding regulators that have the side discharge for bubbles. Are they a good idea for photography or just a gimmick and not really necessary?

alcina
10-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Congratulations on getting certified!

It will be important to try out some different bits of gear to see what suits you the best as things like regulators are very much personal choice. I use Oceanic's Omega side exhaust reg and adore it - others hate it as it does tend to be a "wetter" breathing reg. I dive with plenty of people who use a "standard" venting reg and they don't seem too bothered. There are also adaptors you can add to some regs to help guide the bubbles out from in front of your face and the couple of people I know who use these like them.

The very best thing you can do for your underwater photography doesn't have to do with scuba gear or photo equipment - just get out and dive. The better your dive skills, the better your photos will be...and this takes time and lots of diving! I don't know where you are or what resources you have such as dive clubs, but if you can find something like that where you are not only can you access a good source of buddies and mentors but you might also be able to borrow some different types of scuba gear to try before making a decision.

Have fun!!

snowshoerunner
10-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks Alcina.

The dive club that I got certified from is only a mile from my house and they do have regular local and non-local trips. The company I work for also has a scuba club that does the same. I plan to do dives with both groups. Based on your suggestion I will try out different gear for a year before I buy anything.

alcina
10-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a good plan :) You might find "the one" earlier than a year, but it's good not to feel pressure to buy NOW!

BTW I just noticed that you are in Woodbury Co MN ... I grew up in NW Iowa and have family there and all over MN! I usually go back once or twice a year, next visit is in February.

Papa Bear
10-31-2008, 02:10 AM
I find the mask is more important for both photography and bubble direction! I like the "Big Eye" but they are terrible for allowing bubbles to go right up your face blocking your view! I use the Old SCUBA Pro three window that diverts the bubbles around my face and gives me good peripheral vision! The idea of trying as much as possible is the best one unless you have lots of money and time! But a lot is trial and error and as stated a lot of diving! :)

jamescrew6
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree with Alcina, the better your dive skills, the better you will become as a photographer. In my opinion, bouyancy is the most critial skill you need. The better you ability to stay in one place while taking a pic, the better the pic. Since UW photography requires multi-tasking, you need to feel very comfortable with your diving skills in all conditions.

I have found that the quality of pics is more dependent on the person taking the picture rather than the camera used to take the pics. Therefore, you need to either read some books on taking UW photos or take a few classes on taking pics UW. I took the PADI UW course and also enrolled in a couple of online courses. I found the online courses extremely helpful. Here is a link to the course that I took: http://www.theunderwaterphotographer.com/. I think that they are reasonably priced and if you have questions you can email Marty or Bonnie and the will provide a quick response.

Regards,

Bill

lars2923
02-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Point the lense away from you.. That will help alot.. :-)
Seriously, I have never thought about or been bothered by bubbles
while shooting... Then again, shes pretty hot... :-)
OK seriously serious..
Except when pointing upward and unless you're diving with a rebreather..
The bubbles have this tendency to rise to the surface.

The Publisher
02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
When I was a kid, regulators had large exhaust T's. Now, in the name of compactness, exhaust T's are all but non-existent.

Every once in awhile, when I dive open circuit when 02 fills are not available, I am amazed at how much bubble crap I have all over my face with modern regs. It REALLY is annoying.

hbh2oguard
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Seriously, I have never thought about or been bothered by bubbles

I agree, I don't notice them at all I guess I'll have to try to remember to look on my next dive tomm. maybe I'm just use to them and no longer even notice. You could always try an aqualung mistral...a double hose that's a lot cheaper then a rebreather.