PDA

View Full Version : What have you built?

Zero
01-25-2007, 09:49 AM
For those not inclined to build a rebreather have you built anything else?
Got any pics or hints and tips?

seasnake
01-31-2007, 06:56 PM
I just talked to a machinist friend of mine about making a few little things like first stage holders, stuff like that. If the turn out okay I'll post some pics. Hoping to build a tank tumbler in the near future too.

Anybody know good places on the net (or elsewhere) to get stuff that the dive shop won't sell you? (service kits, o-rings, specialty tools, etc., etc.)

Zero
02-01-2007, 06:48 AM
For o-rings you could try the local bearing or hydraulic hose people near you. They usually have bulk lots and every size and type under the sun. Service kits i think there was a place in Germany or Spain doing them. I dont have any more info than that. As for specialty tools, how special are they? Have a look around a good tool shop and you might find most that you need. A lot of them while being special are just generic but not used that often.

Matt

WreckDiver
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
So far I have built a bunch of 21watt HID lights, 10 scooters and a bunch of reels. The RB parts are coming along just fine also.!:cool:

Dago.

BamaCaveDiver
02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I just talked to a machinist friend of mine about making a few little things like first stage holders, stuff like that. If the turn out okay I'll post some pics. Hoping to build a tank tumbler in the near future too.

Anybody know good places on the net (or elsewhere) to get stuff that the dive shop won't sell you? (service kits, o-rings, specialty tools, etc., etc.)

Most dive shops will sell you everything with some restrictions on the service kits (depending upon the reg manufacturer) but they can be found if you look hard enough. Orings are rather easy to source, try McMaster-Carr or Air-Oil. For specialty tools, Peterbuilt tools is hard to beat as they have just about everything you need for every make of reg on the market. You would also do well to pick up a copy of the oxyhacker's reg maintenance manual from airspeed press; Peterbuilt offers a similar manual but most agree that oxyhacker's is a bit easier for the average person to follow and understand (both are great references to have on hand.)

WreckDiver
02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Scooter project got out of hand.!
Helps if you have one of these in your garage.!:D

Dago

Zero
02-07-2007, 05:35 AM
You must have a big garage.:cool: They look pretty neat do you need anyone to test them?:D

Matt

amtrosie
02-07-2007, 03:23 PM
A CNC in your garage? Now you are living my fantasy.........or at least a part of it. I wish I had the room to set up a little shop. All my modifications are done at work.

WreckDiver
02-07-2007, 03:50 PM
A CNC in your garage? Now you are living my fantasy.........or at least a part of it. I wish I had the room to set up a little shop. All my modifications are done at work.

South Florida.?
If you need anything stop buy and use it.
I live in sarasota county, mm182 on I75.
thanks

Dago.

seasnake
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Most dive shops will sell you everything with some restrictions on the service kits (depending upon the reg manufacturer) but they can be found if you look hard enough. For specialty tools, Peterbuilt tools is hard to beat as they have just about everything you need for every make of reg on the market. You would also do well to pick up a copy of the oxyhacker's reg maintenance manual from airspeed press; Peterbuilt offers a similar manual but most agree that oxyhacker's is a bit easier for the average person to follow and understand (both are great references to have on hand.)

I have Vance Harlow's book, it is excellent. Don't have the Peterbuilt one, I'll check into it. Most shops in my neck of the woods aren't to fussy to sell just parts. I work at a shop and still find it hard to get things like service kits except for the regs the shop carries. (That is another story!) Have you purchased from Peterbuilt before? Will they sell to individuals?

BamaCaveDiver
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I have Vance Harlow's book, it is excellent. Don't have the Peterbuilt one, I'll check into it. Most shops in my neck of the woods aren't to fussy to sell just parts. I work at a shop and still find it hard to get things like service kits except for the regs the shop carries. (That is another story!) Have you purchased from Peterbuilt before? Will they sell to individuals?

Peterbuilt will sell to anyone, no minmum orders, no asking for anything beyond payment. They are likely one of thest sources you will find for reg tools. Their spanner wrenches are not the best, but the rest of their products are top notch.

amtrosie
02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
I have found Snap-on tools to have excellent spanner wrenches, also their other tools more than stand up to test. They have a line of wrenches called "Flank drive plus" that are GREAT for removing items that have rounded off flats. This is from divers trying to do their own stuff with THE WRONG TOOLS!!! (a pet peeve of mine, from my dive shop days) Their sockets are also very good.

Packhorse
02-20-2007, 08:08 AM
I got the scubapro multi tool from peterbuilt and the oxy hacker and reg books.
All very good purchases. I also have a source for service kits for scubapro in NZ

hbh2oguard
02-27-2007, 05:17 AM
I have to admit I leave it to the pros, don't want to take any chances just to save a buck. I did buid a drying rack or tree which fits all my gear on it and it's dry in hours.

Divingtoors
03-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi There

I have built a Cannister light (mark VII me thinketh....:)
I have also modified and converted a Russian IDA-71 to a KISS MCCR.

It is not always about saving a buck ,although in my rebreather case it was some of that...but it is sometimes the challenge of being able to do it, and then finding ways and means to overcome obstcles in the path to perfection.
And it is fun..........

I am looking for ideas on building a DPV / scooter next.

ANybody that can spare some plans and pics

I will appreciate it

Best Regrds

Johan Pretorius

hbh2oguard
03-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Divingtoors ask WreckDiver in the DPV thread he had pics of ones he made, maybe he's willing to share.

WreckDiver
03-02-2007, 12:42 AM
If I can help let me know.
The pics of the tail ends of the scooters and 1 of the machines in my garage is on the first page of this thread.

Dago.

aowdan
03-28-2007, 06:23 AM
in reference to rebuild kits...i've had the college class on repair and maintenance...just no luck on obtaining oceanic parts. any links for a suplier to obtain parts?

also...new to this site...any DIY video housing plans out there?
dan
pm if you need to

Zero
03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
G'day and welcome aboard Dan. How simply or elaborate do you want the housing? If the cam is small and fits you can try an old tank with the neck machined off and an o-ring groove put into it then a disk of perspex or lexan or your choice of clear whatever clipped on the front. Just needs a set of mounting rails to slide the camera in on and to hold it in place. Just hit record put the cam in and clip it shut and go diving. Does make for a lot of editing and flat batteries but also works.
Even cheaper is using pipe in the same fashion but with a tubeless car tyre valve in it. Figure out what depth your going to and pump it up to just over that. Going to 30 metres? Give it 4 bar and a bit extra for safety. Not recommended for deep dives though. Make sure you use pressure rated pipe if you do it as well.

Matt

aowdan
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
thanks for the tips, i did find some plans. i'd have to look for the website. never thought about an old tank. i think i have a buddy with one. tire inflator? never even thought about that. makes sense. i thought about some pvc to see if it would stand the pressure (without the camera at first of course!)
dan

seasnake
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
My buddy is a machinist and I cajoled him into making a few test pieces:

A first stage holder, a couple of hose protector installers, and a little slotted key for removing tank valve knobs.

padipro
04-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I've built everything on the first page of my DIY site. (http://groups.msn.com/Divelight) I've also made several more video camera housings that I never posted pictures of. It's free to join if you like and you can see hundreds of pictures and read what others have done with there DIY projects.

Tigerbeach
07-24-2007, 05:53 PM
So this was what my 20 year old mind could come up with in the "McGyver department" Yes it was 25 years ago; but still, it gets points for originality.

We wanted to smoke pot underwater.

I used an U/W camera case with a second stage attached to the front.
The lp hose went to the 1st stage on the tank.
A mouthpiece was attached to a hole in the the back of the housing.
This was kept plugged until ready for use.

A hole was cut into the bottom of the case and a neoprene glove finger (waterproof, right?) was inserted and glued into the housing.
Your smoke of choice was inserted into a roach clip, (roach clip; remember college?)and a bic lighter, that were glued strategically next to the glove finger.

Once underwater, you put your finger in the glove, flicked the bic, and pushed the button on the second stage, and inhaled.

Woo Hoo!

(Beers with twist off caps were actually much easier.)

Remember kids, don't try this at home!!!

I haven't thought of this for years! Sorta like a flashback!
(Flashback = buy one; get one free!)
I think we were the Dive Pirates of our day.
ASW

Mountain Dog
07-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Tigerbeach-

I must say that's one of the most innovative DIY's I've ever heard of. You might have some trouble with marketability of the product, though. I just don't see the agencies offering a "Deep Doobie" specialty certification.

Mountain Dog

Tigerbeach
07-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Do you think ScubaPro would like to manufacture it?
Maybe I could sketch something...

Mountain Dog
07-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Just get your patent locked in before you send them the sketch.

Mountain Dog

Tigerbeach
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Gee, you think I might get to meet Tommy Chong?

acelockco
07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
OMG, now that is too funny!

Goes to show you that pot heads really do think. Problem is they think too much. LMAO!

Zero
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Thats about as crazy as putting vodka in those Apollo regs with the moisture thing on the 1st stage.:cool: Not that many sesible divers would do that anyway:o

Matt

acelockco
07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
How much vodka could you fit in there? I don't think enough to make you feel it.

Humm.....I wonder if there is a law against drunk diving......YET?

lottie
07-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Humm.....I wonder if there is a law against drunk diving......YET?

That probably depends on if you're driving after....a drunk diver driving (try saying that when you're drunk! LOL)

acelockco
07-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I can't say that quickly and I have not had anything to drink today. It does sound funny though.

So I was thinking of starting D.A.D.D. That is Divers Against Drunk Diving.

Our slogan could be "DUI, You Can't Afford It", boy that may get someone's feathers ruffled. And how true it is.

Zero
07-28-2007, 10:18 AM
From memory(Hazy) it was about a shot but its at depth as well. Just use the good stuff.

Matt

rcs9250
01-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Here are some of the things I've made in the past two years.
The lamps are made from condemned cylinders. The neat thing about them is that you turn the valve knob to turn the light on. The white one is a cookie jar. To open the jar you have to turn the valve knob.
The gizmo to the right of the lamp is my attempt at modern art. It's a sphere of sorts. Don't know what it is but everyone that see's it wants one.
Also built a small booster for filling my argon bottle to 3000 psi. No picture though.
The flow bench panel was put together from instrumentation that I got from Peterbuilt.
The collection of odds and end tools are for the regs that I use. The white thing to the left of the scooter video mount is a dummy cap for my canister light. I had a small leak in the cable grommet and needed away to test it in my pressure pot and the regular battery canister would not fit in the pot so I made a short one to allow testing.
I didn't make the pressure pot, just the stand for it to put it at a morecomfortable work height.
I've got several other things but no pictures at this time. Bench top tank vise, pivoting tank cradle for that mounts to a counter for dumping water and tumbling media out and then holds it while rinsing. Tank dryer that was fabricated from a hair dryer and uses air from a scuba tank to dry the cylinder.
The beauty of scuba is that it can keep you occupied above and below the water. Especially if your totally addicted.

Randy

rcs9250
01-11-2008, 02:21 AM
More pictures

acelockco
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Looks like you are hard at work. I definately like what you have made. Please feel free to post more info on how you actually made these things.

rcs9250
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks like you are hard at work. I definately like what you have made. Please feel free to post more info on how you actually made these things.

Will do. busy weekend right now. Will post as soon as I get a minute.
Randy

rcs9250
01-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Here are pictures of the tank vise and the tank tilting gizmo.

The Publisher
01-13-2008, 05:14 AM
RCS, I used to be a prototype aerospace machinist. I still have a brand new 16"x60" lathe and vertical mill in the garage, both machines with electronic digital readouts on all axis. I just picked up a new mig welder.

Looking at your whimsical gizmos, I think we'd get along just great!

rcs9250
01-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Wanna be my neighbor?

randeleden
05-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Hi
I build a video housing out of PVC pipe. The controls are manipulated with magnets from the outside and I have a 3,5" LCD screen in the back. Unfortunately I forgot to switch it of after a dive and fried the LCD. Now I have installed a laptop fan to keep everything nice and cool inside.

Regards

The Publisher
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey Randel! Good to see you here! :)

acelockco
05-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi
I build a video housing out of PVC pipe. The controls are manipulated with magnets from the outside and I have a 3,5" LCD screen in the back. Unfortunately I forgot to switch it of after a dive and fried the LCD. Now I have installed a laptop fan to keep everything nice and cool inside.

Regards

LETS SEE SOME PHOTOS AND A HOW TO!!!!

Welcome to our place, glad to have you here.

Papa Bear
05-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Ya Reed's Rod!

http://www.twotankedproductions.com/equipmentsalesrental/equipmentsales.html

http://www.twotankedproductions.com/images/792_IMG_8234_Reeds_rod_web_photo.jpg

padipro
01-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Pictures...All are home made from PVC. If you're interested in information on how I made them let me know. I used to have a website but MSN shut all these sites down.

This is the latest one I made. Worked great for about 2 years until my buddy took it to 190 FSW where it finally flooded.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x244/Scotta320/P1.jpg

I made this one for a friend.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x244/Scotta320/IMG_0407-2.jpg

This is one of the original housings I made along with a lighting system I made.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x244/Scotta320/P.jpg

acelockco
01-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Pictures...All are home made from PVC. If you're interested in information on how I made them let me know. I used to have a website but MSN shut all these sites down.

I definitely need to know more, these look awesome!!

padipro
01-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Well the short and sweet is that they are all made of standard PVC piping that can be purchased at any home improvment store. The older one, with the lights is a 6" diameter pipe the other two were 4" inch. If you heat PVC in any oven to 400*F for about 5 minutes it turns into rubber and can be formed into any shape you want. The square housings were formed by making a mold out of 2X4's screwed together and rounded off to make a shape that was slightly larger then what I needed to fit the camera. I heated a length of PVC in the oven and then jamed the mold into the soft PVC pipe and let it cool. It's not easy and takes some doing to get the mold into the softened PVC, it's HOT and cools fast but with a little practice you can do it. Once it's cooled you'll need to hammer out the mold and then trim the ends to make it square. From there you need to router a groove in both ends for an Oring to sit, make the lenses and attach the latches.

I used to have a great site on MSN with picture and instructions on exactly how I made them along with pictures from others of the housing they made but MSN shut down all the these sites and moved everything to My dive light site (http://divelite.multiply.com/photos) and it's nothing like it use to be. You can still see some of the pictures at the new site if you're interested.

acelockco
01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Well that was short and sweet. Can you post your photos here and more information? We won't remove it!

Annabelle2003
10-27-2011, 12:43 PM
You guys are so handy! I wish my husband could do something himself!

Papa Bear
12-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Beach Diving float from and old, or new, inner-tube, a Diver down flag, 100ft of light poly line, zip ties, rubber band(From Tubes), and a game bag in the middle to put "Stuff" in! Cheap and simple! You can use a reel or a simple Dumb bell shaped piece of stainless wire to wind your line around and a brass clip to clip to your BCD. Tow it while shore diving or clip it to Kelp or Bottom anchor. Then Do your dive and ride it back to shore! ;)

mssusan00
04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
I’ve built bookcases for family.

Papa Bear
04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
That is something useful and if you do a lot of diving you might come up with DIT for your diving!