PDA

View Full Version : Jelly fish ID

Papa Bear
10-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Anyone want to take a crack at this one. It was near the west end of New Providence Bahama, it was about 2 inches wide:
http://www.twotankedproductions.com/images/480__MG_6999_Small_Jelly_Two_wrecks_Nassau_Exp_I_1 0-08.jpg

lars2923
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Twotankproductions...
How bout twotanked4production... nice....... lol

Cheers,

The Publisher
10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Jelyfish are not my ID thing, but I could swear that looks like a rug on saw on an aging, balding punk rocker.

Great photo clarity and what a rare capture!

lottie
10-13-2008, 06:22 PM
It looks like it might be some kind of sea-wasp...we get them down here as well. I've also heard that they are small and not that easy to see due to their small size and can be painful on the skin if stung with one...just a thought

HTH

The Publisher
10-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I love running my face into the tiny, more or less invisible ones while I dive tropical and I notice this slight stinging sensation on my face so not thinking, I rub it, which ensures that the remaining stinging pneumatocysts all fire together so as not to waste any venom on anything other than my lips or forehead.:eek:

Papa Bear
10-13-2008, 10:18 PM
It looks like it might be some kind of sea-wasp...we get them down here as well. I've also heard that they are small and not that easy to see due to their small size and can be painful on the skin if stung with one...just a thought

HTH

The "Sea Wasp" is a Box Jelly cousin to the ones in the South Pacific and this is no Box jelly. The SW or Box has four sting tendrils one on each corner of its square body. The broken off tendrils can sting you as well. This one might sting, but is not a box.

PB:confused: