PDA

View Full Version : Boredom on Deco

Zero
01-24-2007, 02:07 AM
On from the Nitrox thread what do people do to relieve the boredom of Deco?
When your sitting on a reef somewhere with lots to look at and swim around it bearable but when your midwater, in a roaring current. or vis that you cant see what your hanging on what do you do?

Matt

RebreatherDave
01-24-2007, 05:54 AM
I avoid almost all deco by diving closed circuit! The few times I have done deco, it has been on reefs with so much marine life that you just watch it as it goes by.

I know some guys have Vr3's and they play computer games on it during long hang times.

I guess you could have the underwater Mp3 players but I personally don't think that is safe blocking your hearing.

Zero
01-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Ive been on the lookout for a housing for a Gameboy for years. Never seem to find one. Noughts and crosses tends to fill up and dive slate too quick and also gets boring.

Matt

WreckDiver
01-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I dive all OC at this time so some of my wreck diving requires some 80/100 minutes of deco but I never find myself bored. I am usually thinking about the next dive or making sure all the other divers are fine and vise versa.
If I find one of the team just day dreaming I will usually sneak over and tie a line to them and then keep pulling it slowly and watch them squirm around until they figure out what is going on. Also there is alway the scooter racing.!

Dago.

drdiver
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Read a cheap paperback.

RebreatherDave
01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, buy the crappiest, most worthless magazine you can find.....

Oprah comes to mind.

Zero
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
If its a long deco the cheap ones turn to pulp too quick. Although it may make you feel a bit uncomfortable in a wetsuit playboy and penthouse are the 2 best because they are so glossy and the paper is a bit heavier. It doesnt solve the problem for a lot of the girls but.

Matt

amtrosie
01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Playing games with my buddies accessories (reels, etc.). We like to sneak up and steal their gear and see how long it takes for them to notice. Doing emergency bailout calculations is always a good reminder. Refigure your SAC rate to the decimal. All this also helps to see how your bouancy is being maintained. I try not to start thinking about work, it really distracts me!

allisonfinch
01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
:o

I practise my air rings. It's fun to try to get one to go up through another.

Sarah
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I've always seen photos of divers blowing buble rings but I have NO idea how you do that......If you told me would you have to kill me? lol

Zero
01-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Poke your tongue out pressurise your mouth then pull your tongue in quick and keep you lips round works and practice a lot.
No good in a current or surge but.

Matt

seasnake
01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
The tongue out thing works for me, too, but I find I have to be on my back with my face pointing straight up at the surface ...

allisonfinch
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Oh, yeah.....I now see the part about the current. Air rings suck in the current. What I do is put a long jon line on the anchor line and play airplane. I adjust my flaps and play with the current. God forbid the line goes and I'm drifting off to who knows where!:eek:

Finless
02-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Deco ............. I've heard of that .............. it's that thing I won't spend more than half an hour doing because it's VERY boring.

What is this anchor line thing of which you speak? Is it the thing that ties the boat to the sea? :)

We usually make the boat come and get us (hanging on a DSMB is much less stressful than holding a line in the current) .........

Can't do the bubble rings because I wear a FFM. To kill the time I usually try to look for tiny little critters floating about or just chill out floating there listening for the boat's engines. Maybe even shut my eyes for a few minutes.

Sarah
02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Two possdible resolutions to boredom on deco:

Get a VR3 and play games on it.

Get a closed circuit rebreather and eliminate most deco

lars2923
02-27-2007, 11:13 PM
iDiveChick,

OMG, Those were the exact thoughts that came through my mind before I read your post...

Get a VR3 and/or a rebreather...

When I read your post I got excited..

Play that twilight zone sound again for me...

Sarah
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
You were thinking the exact same thing?!

Perhaps you've entered into another dimension, you've crossed over into...
NzlG28B-R8Y

Finless
02-28-2007, 12:57 AM

VR3? Only for rich people.
CCR? Only for rich people + I don't think they save that much time over my accelerated deco in the 40mtr range (square profile)?

Zero
02-28-2007, 07:39 AM
CCR? Only for rich people

Maybe not. Might have some pics of a nice little homebuilt soon that is a work in progress. Just about done with the mouthpiece thats cost less than A$100. Scrubber might be about the same. Dearest bit so far on the estimate will be electrics or scuba attachments.

Matt

lars2923
02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Zero,

You building your own rebreather?
I would love to see the pics when you're ready...

WarmWaterdiver
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
so who exactly is going to test this baby? we gonna miss you Matt.

Zero
03-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Yep just about everything will be scratch built. Its not just me doing it there is a small group of us. It is home built in the sense we arent buying made parts but they are getting made at peoples work. Some of the guys are engineers and have access to big machines that make big noises. To start with it will be a CMF unit with the possability that electrics will be added later on. The mouthpieces were the first thing we did because everyone needed one and they were pretty much a standard thing to make. Everyone got the same. Bit of a copy of a Mk15 with a few tweaks. The scrubber is going to be similar to the Inspos ie tube down the side. Counterlungs havent been decided on yet but will probably be 2 versions. One for back mount other for OTS. Sensors i think were going to be the same as the Mk15s because of the output voltage they are easy to work with. The displays are either going to be made ourselves or maybe using a subsea systems one. http://www.deepdiving.net/index.html for a look. There made down here so easy access to them.
As for the testing. I think theres going to be a few divers that will be able to say word for word a lot of dive movies. It will be couch dived for a while before hitting the pool for more tests before it gets to see a drop of salt water.

Matt

WarmWaterdiver
03-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I can see it now. Zerodiving.com Diving instruments for the rebreather in you.

Zero
03-02-2007, 06:44 AM
for the rebreather in you.

Arent they called gills?:rolleyes:
We are only making a few for the guys that want them now. Once this batch is done we probably wont make anymore unless its to modify things on these units.

Matt

Finless
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Arent they called gills?:rolleyes:
We are only making a few for the guys that want them now. Once this batch is done we probably wont make anymore unless its to modify things on these units.

Matt

I remember seeing on TV, as a young lad, 40ish years ago, a boy who could stay under water for as long as he wanted so long as his supply of Oxygum didn't run out ............... wouldn't that be a cheaper option than building your own CCR ............. probably not as much fun?

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/kids/marineboy.htm

WarmWaterdiver
03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
that'll sure teach you to chew with your mouth closed.

santelmo
03-03-2007, 12:33 AM

how much is a VR3? does it cost more than the new Suunto D9? what games does it have? i checked the website http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr3/main.php?content=intro and it did not mention any game... :D :o

WarmWaterdiver
03-03-2007, 01:03 AM
how about practice your skills while on deco? mask flooding or removal and replacement, valve drills, among others.

santelmo
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
play CHARADES? :D