PDA

View Full Version : No fly time question

greenturtle
08-22-2008, 08:30 AM
During my recent dive trip, my Suunto Mosquito Dive computer had a "No fly time" of more than 24 hours.

All were "No Decompression" dives and we had our appropriate safety stops done, wonder why the "No fly time" was more than ~30 hours. Me and another diver having the same dive computer had the same encounter >30 hours "No fly time"

Anyone could offer an explanation? It'll be good to know. Anyone else encountered similar incidents on their Dive computers (what brand)? Thanks!

(we board the flight even with the "No Fly time" icon on, but we had >26 hours surface interval)

The Publisher
08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I spoke with Suunto this morning on your behalf and they said if your Mosquito computer was NOT in air or nitrox mode, it would recognize it did not have full dive information and it would switch to being extremely conservative and the result would be an really long no fly time.

They said there are several modes it could have been in, one is called gauge mode, the other is called free dive mode.

lars2923
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I guess some tissues were not completely off gases after 30 hours..
I can only image which tissue that is...

greenturtle
08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I spoke with Suunto this morning on your behalf and they said if your Mosquito computer was NOT in air or nitrox mode, it would recognize it did not have full dive information and it would switch to being extremely conservative and the result would be an really long no fly time.

They said there are several modes it could have been in, one is called gauge mode, the other is called free dive mode.

Thanks. Validated that my settings were for "Air", and not EAN or Free mode.

So still puzzled by the long "No fly time"

lottie
08-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I think i have the same thing with my dive comp (Mares Nemo) - I haven't seen how long its stay in "no fly mode" for, but then again, I haven't fully worked out all the functions and buttons and gizmos!

seasnake
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
It's my understanding that dive computers don't just use the recommended "no fly" times that you learned on your course for that part of their display. The no fly time is based on an algorithm calculation of theoretical tissue compartments etc etc blah blah blah and so might come out to who knows what.

Papa Bear
10-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Get an Oceanic Data Plus Pro II and end your shorter bottom times and fly in 24hrs. although 12hr shows no difference according to DAN, but Suunto is just too conservative! :rolleyes:

Papa Bear
10-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Oops, Pro Plus II! ;)

Skubasteve14
06-21-2011, 05:44 AM
I had a suunto stinger and did a bounce dive to 45ft to free my anchor after a dive. I ascended too quickly and the watch locked me out of my next dive and hit me with a 48 hr no fly time. Did your watch hit you with a slow!! Or Stop!!! On the way up?

I called a friend who is a seasoned dive instructor and PADI course director, he said take an hour and a half SI to be safe before the next dive(which the computer refused to participate in) and welcome to Suunto dive computers unnecessarily conservative rules.

Papa Bear
12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Suunto makes a good product, they are just too worried about being sued!?!?!?