PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Olympics

lottie
08-20-2008, 01:48 AM
As we all know the olympics are on in Beijing at the moment.

If scuba diving was classed as an olympic sport....What do you think would be the type of scuba activities that would be included?

....swimming through hoops that get smaller and smaller, retrieving hidden objects, fast scuba swim, making bubbles...

Discuss.......

acelockco
08-20-2008, 04:14 AM
I can't see any way to make scuba an Olympic sport without making it unsafe and against the basic things we were taught in our first scuba classes. Plus I think that most people enjoy scuba because it is not competitive as other sports are.

lottie
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I realise that Ace, I posted this up more as tongue in cheek, plus I was in that type of mood last night.

shinek
08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Blowing bubble rings! Form, size, length of time they remain intact, I'm sure we could come up with a scoring system. :D
Water entries? Backroll from the 10M diving board might be entertaining. Or perhaps the giant stride from the springboard? Keep the guages close, hold the mask, point the fins and smoothly into the water with hardly a ripple! ;)
As long as we don't get the same judges they had in some of the gymnastics in Beijing, it should all work fine.;)
Any other suggestions?

lars2923
08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
I realise that Ace, I posted this up more as tongue in cheek, plus I was in that type of mood last night.

Now Ace, you should have picked up on that... Focus!
lol

seasnake
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
We've had our own "scuba Olympics" here as part of a local charity event ... we did relay races on snorkel gear (on land ... very funny) ... A "tank toss", throwing an empty AL80 for distance ... I also have wanted to see a navigation type event where you get your first bearing at shore, and then if you follow the bearing correctly you will find uw stations with maybe a code and a new bearing to the next station. Also perform a scuba rescue getting docked points for things you miss or do out of sequence or something.

lottie
08-27-2008, 09:12 PM
A "tank toss", throwing an empty AL80 for distance ....

Out of curiosity - What was the state of the tank after the throwing? Any dents or anything???? And what was the furthest throw? :)

Papa Bear
09-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Blowing bubble rings! Form, size, length of time they remain intact, I'm sure we could come up with a scoring system. :D
Water entries? Backroll from the 10M diving board might be entertaining. Or perhaps the giant stride from the springboard? Keep the guages close, hold the mask, point the fins and smoothly into the water with hardly a ripple! ;)
As long as we don't get the same judges they had in some of the gymnastics in Beijing, it should all work fine.;)
Any other suggestions?

If they allowed 9 year old's to dive!:rolleyes:

Papa Bear
09-01-2008, 04:06 AM
I can't see any way to make scuba an Olympic sport without making it unsafe and against the basic things we were taught in our first scuba classes. Plus I think that most people enjoy scuba because it is not competitive as other sports are.

I agree 100%, but ever heard of Photography/Videography? lol:eek:

Papa Bear
09-01-2008, 04:10 AM
As we all know the olympics are on in Beijing at the moment.

If scuba diving was classed as an olympic sport....What do you think would be the type of scuba activities that would be included?

....swimming through hoops that get smaller and smaller, retrieving hidden objects, fast scuba swim, making bubbles...

Discuss.......

SAC rate! Breath holding and lung expansion! Fastest down and up? Done only once! How many lobster can you pull from the reef on one tank, no rules on damage to the reef! I can think of a whole bunch more!

seasnake
09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Out of curiosity - What was the state of the tank after the throwing? Any dents or anything???? And what was the furthest throw? :)

Well, yeh, it's not too good for the tank but we just use one that failed it's last visual inspection so it is condemned anyway. No valve either, so it's harder to get a grip on . . .