PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a .... purple turtle??

lottie
08-09-2008, 06:29 PM
TOH and I were having this conversation last night, and I can't remember the exact details nor whether he's being serious or pulling my leg. But he mentioned that he's seen a purple turtle around the waters near us many years ago?

So, I thought, i'd ask you guys and gals...is there such a thing as a purple turtle?? and does it inhabit the caribbean???

TIA (there's money riding on this answer!!) :) :)

shinek
08-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a good name for a bar or club, to me!

"I'm heading down to the Purple Turtle for a pint!" :D

Technically, I believe there are 8 recognised species of Sea Turtle but none of them have Purple in the name. However, there are many creatures which have local names often not recognised by the rest of the world. It may be that one species was known as the "Purple Turtle" by some people for some reason, who knows? But my guess is someone is pulling someone's leg! ;)

lottie
08-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Cheers for that Shinek, you've just made my day :D

We get leatherbacks and hawksbills over here (both of which i've seen) - and i'm probably sure that it might have been one of them...but the former are more black and the latter, green! The refraction of the water wouldn't make these look more purple would it??

acelockco
08-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I have seen turtles that "looked" purple in different light. I believe it was the algae and other growth on its shell that caused the colors, not the turtle itself.

ACE

h2odragon1
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Two possibilities;

One; How much did he have to drink?

Two; Which toy store was he in? :o:)

Daddy-h2O
08-10-2008, 02:06 PM
uhm, I saw one at the zoo, between a pink elephant, and a venomous duck.

lottie
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
ROFL @ H2O and Daddy.

Ace - thats what was in the back of my mind as well when he said it,

I think i'll just tell him that there's no such thing as a purple turtle and win the bet :D :D :D