PDA

View Full Version : Sony HC7 or HC9

scubasteve1950
07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Anyone with experience with using the Sony HC7 or HC9 have any suggestions for me. I have just purchased a HC9 and I am on my way to Belize. I am using an IKELITE Housing.

Thanks for your help

The Publisher
07-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Steve,

Welcome to the SMN Community.

I don't have that particular. What I can tell you though is turn off the image stabilization anytime there will be movement in the subject or the scene or it will get blurry.

scubasteve1950
07-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks

The manual for my Ikelite also said to turn off the image stabilization. Wasn't sure why. I would have thought it would have helped.

The Publisher
07-16-2008, 04:04 AM
If the subject does not move, nor do you pan the videocam, yes, it helps....but we all are shooting moving subjects from us moving along a reef, a moving critter, or slowly panning the videocam from one side to another, image stabilization kills the shot by blurring it.

lars2923
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I will have to check my Sony HDR-HC3 for that feature.
I do notice that when I pan L or R, it blurrs...

Interesting... Any more good tips...?

ljj
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
infinity infinity infinity...

:)

they have pretty sensitive autofocus (well, at least the HC-5 does) and the 'searching' will botch a pretty shot of a pan across subject matter.

scubasteve1950
07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I will try setting it to infinity.. Haven't played around with that yet. I have tried thr Tele Marco.. At least on Land I have... I like that. But I am not sure how it will work in the water.

Have you tried using the MWB? Everything I have read says that you need to redo it every 10 feet...

The Publisher
07-17-2008, 01:49 AM
The Sony telemacro lens system is AWESOME underwater! I wish my FX1 had that feature....

ljj
07-17-2008, 05:13 AM
I use big lights that closely resemble daylight, so unless monkey diving WB is rarely something I even think about...

In all honesty, I see more buttons to push underwater a liability. To me they just mean more things to touch or get bumped to screw up your video :)

Good technique will serve you better than 47 different widgets to mess with :)

White balance issues I can fix post production :)

lars2923
07-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I found I like the Macro much better..
I'm a face in the reef diver.. (I'm careful on my buoyancy)
to find those little critters most divers fly by.
I think I posted some of those pics in one of the rooms here.
(I say Pic, it's actually screen captures from the video)

OK, I guess it's time to begin 'reading' the manual.. lol
RTFM, right!?

Thanx,

lars2923
07-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I use big lights that closely resemble daylight, so unless monkey diving WB is rarely something I even think about...

In all honesty, I see more buttons to push underwater a liability. To me they just mean more things to touch or get bumped to screw up your video :)

Good technique will serve you better than 47 different widgets to mess with :)

White balance issues I can fix post production :)

Well said.

I use Nite-Riter, 80watt which seems OK most of the time.
So I purchased a Nocturnal, dual 50watt lighting system, to use
in addition to the Nite-Rider.

I usually have a light handler who wears the dual 50's ahead of me
(usually caverns) as my background lighting along with my 80 watts
as the foreground lighting.

In the ocean, I use just the Nite-Rider.

I agree on the number of buttons.. Man, when I need to shoot something I need it now.
You know how dynamic it is down there. Things happen fast.

caio,

ljj
07-18-2008, 05:46 AM
HID or Halogen?

are you doing any of this on scooters?

THE OCDA has a fantastic video showing blue springs in missouri where they have Dual 50w HID's on the scooter in front and another set (24's or 50's) on the camera/scooter as well.

http://www.ocda.org/bluevideo.htm (not my video)

following their lead, I put together a set of arms for whichever random buddy draws the short straw and gets to be light biiaatch for the dive ;) (I'll do the light hauling for my buddies any day as well) on the basic scooter mount from Dive Xtras. IF we are not scootering, the system doubles well as a light bar. Mounting the lights frees up the hands a bit. I know people have good results with holding two lights (one primary one video) in one hand but that takes a rather experienced buddy :)

lars2923
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
HID or Halogen?

are you doing any of this on scooters?

HIDs.. and no scootering (We don't Monkey around! lol)
A scooter is my next investment. My problem is I'm the only
one with $$ to buy the toys.. and not having someone else to
scooter with ... that leaves me buying at least two scooters..

"It's Good to be the King"

Luv those vids you sent... I'm gonna have to make a visit up
there and have some fun with ya'll.

Cheers,

ljj
07-18-2008, 09:50 AM
buy two!!!!!!!

:)

ljj
07-18-2008, 09:58 AM
ah, 10w HID, equivalent to 80w Halogen... got it... i was confused for min by the numbers :)

lars2923
07-18-2008, 12:18 PM
ah, 10w HID, equivalent to 80w Halogen... got it... i was confused for min by the numbers :)

No, I was the one that wasn't clear...

Here is a pic of the Nite-rider lights (lights only in this pic)
My Gates Housing is for the Sony HDR-HC3..

http://www.niteriderdive.com/graphics/DUAL_VIDEO4_lg.jpg

I'm looking at Nocturnals web site for my other lights.. Looks like
they stopped offering it.

The Nocturnal lights are basically the TL50 with two light heads attached to
that cannon of a canister. Very Bright with both manufacturers lights on, combined 100Watts (HID - lol) Noctural,
80 Watts Nite-ride, all together, 180Watts (HID) lighting up the ocean/caverns AND it's still not
enough. People say I look like a MAC truck approaching with those lights on.

I want 1000 WATTS !!!

Wait, If I posted at around 5:30AM my time (EST), and your posts show around 05:XX, what are you doing up so early (PST)?

Cheers,
L

danielstassen@mac.
08-01-2008, 02:30 AM
If you'd like to film small critters, you'd better off buying underwater lights.

I actually have two Ikelite video lights, the new model (Pro video light 3), and Pro video light two. I also have all the arms, batteries (two), and chargers.

If you are interested... I thought around 550 would be a fair price, for ikelite sell one set for 675 (click here (http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/videolite.html))

Anyway, enjoy your filming this is a good little camera :)