PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest thing your dive buddy ever did?

The Publisher
06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
For fun I thought it might be interesting to post stories and experiences of the dumbest thing your dive buddies have ever done.

With me, I had a dive buddy who ran out of air at 60 feet at San Nicholas Island. I was watching her like a hawk and at some point she came up to me, showed me her presssure gauge at 0, then her eyes became the size of saucers, she spit out her regulator and ripped mine out of my mouth. I was fine with that, I had over 1500 psi left in a steel 105, but no, she decided she was going to head for the surface hell be damned....so since she was in a major panic I figured grabbing her and holding her down at the bottom would needlessy freak her out ever more, so off we went. We had practiced buddy breathing together, but apparently she forgot it all.....at about 30 feet I was ready to have a heart attack but she gave me the regulator once and I got one partial breath out of it before she ripped it back out of my mouth. I made it to the surface without blacking out which was kind of cool...and she is breathlessly panting about how she can't breathe on the surface....I figured if she can complain about not being able to breathe, she must be breathing.

That was the end of her diving for the day and I never dated her again.

Papa Bear
06-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Invited me to go diving 2hrs away from home! When we go there we suited up and HE forgot his regulator! So I towed him on a float as I hunted Halibut 40ft below! I shoot one and only gave him one Fillet! That will teach him! BTW he drove! He felt pretty dumb!

The Publisher
06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
That reminds me of a large halibut I saw off Santa Rosa Island in the Channel islands.....as I got within speargun range I got it but noticed it didn't move at all. Upon closer inspection I saw it had been just speared before....

On the boat all were standing around gawking and one rather forlorn looking fellow laments about how that was "his" halibut. I asked him how it could be his if it was me who brought it up?! He sulked off knowing I was right.

Being the sporting guy I am after filleting it on the boat I presented him with his half all packaged up which really made his day as he wasn't expecting it.

It is rather hard to keep and store 20 lbs of halibut fillet versus 10 lbs.

I am just not wild about spearing fish anymore.....I would rather just enjoy looking at them.....

Papa Bear
06-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Ditto, I still have mine, but it hasn't been in the water in a while! It was replaced by all the expensive stuff! ;):eek::rolleyes:

acelockco
06-30-2008, 07:07 AM
I am just not wild about spearing fish anymore.....I would rather just enjoy looking at them.....

I hear you on that one!