PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make titanium tank DIN valves?

Sarah
01-23-2007, 06:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone made titanium scuba tank DIN valves like some 1st stages are now made of.

Zero
01-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Not certain but i would say no due to its uncompatability with oxygen and the risk it would create. Same goes with Ti regs.

Matt

michael hearn
01-24-2007, 06:33 PM
hi. dont think first stages will be solid titanium, usually they are plated, any internal components of a second stage wouldnt be solid. as has been said titanium reacts badly with oxygen at pressure even to the point of catching fire. when grinding my titanium boxes the sparks actually set my clothes on fire. i dont think any company would put solid titanium components inside high pressure breathing apparatus with the risk of it failing.
mike
:eek:

Zero
01-24-2007, 10:31 PM
when grinding my titanium boxes the sparks actually set my clothes on fire.mike
Got any pics?:eek: :D Seems to be something about fire and explosives on this board.

Matt

RebreatherDave
01-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I used to be a machinist and in that capacity for awhile I worked for a firm and we made the T.O.W. missiles for the U.S. military. (Tube launched, Optically tracked, Wire guided).

The stabilizing and guidance pop-out fins were made of magnesium. We used to have huge bales of magnesium shavings that we would assemble in the evenings into a pile about 1 meter tall. We would light it with a match, which was difficult to start. Once ignited it would glow a bright white. Then of course, we had to throw a large bucket of water on it, which is like throwing gasoline on a fire. Man was that fun!

Zero
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Then of course, we had to throw a large bucket of water on it, which is like throwing gasoline on a fire. Man was that fun!

Try throwing liquid oxygen on it!!!:eek: :D Theres some pics of guys lighting BBQs with it on the net

Matt

Packhorse
04-07-2007, 07:39 AM
hi. dont think first stages will be solid titanium, usually they are plated, any internal components of a second stage wouldnt be solid. as has been said titanium reacts badly with oxygen at pressure even to the point of catching fire. when grinding my titanium boxes the sparks actually set my clothes on fire. i dont think any company would put solid titanium components inside high pressure breathing apparatus with the risk of it failing.
mike

There are plenty of SOLID Ti 1st stages out there. Not recommended for use with 40%+ EAN though and some manufactures recommend there use with either EAN or air but not both, Dont quite see the logic there. Also many 2nd stages also have SOLID Ti parts.
The bennifits are resistance to corrosion and weight. Not to mention wank factor.
As for Ti valves, well I dont think corrosion is such an issue, weight deffinatly isnt but there is stall the wank factor. So maybe if you have some spare cash and know a good machinist they could whittle you one up.